Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Cardiovascular risk factors and mental status of students and staff at Universidade Federal de Viçosa.
Brazil (DENEM) - Universidade Federal de Vicosa, Vicosa
Medicine and Nursing Department
Luciana Moreira Lima
Luciana Moreira Lima
English; Spanish; Italian; French
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project without Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
The development of cardiovascular diseases (CVD) can be amplified by factors such as arterial hypertension, smoking, physical inactivity, obesity, stress, dyslipidemia, atherogenic diet, depression and anxiety. The identification of these factors becomes important for a better understanding of the mechanisms of development of CVD in our population. This project is a study focusing on the risk factors for CVD, the results are of great importance, considering the frequency and severity of them in our environment. Prevention, detection and treatment of these diseases are increasingly configured on the world stage, as important public health measures.
What is the aim of the project?
1) To determine the prevalence of risk factors for cardiovascular diseases and to track the mental state of students and employees of the Federal University of Viçosa, as well as define possible correlations between them and the age and gender of the participants. 2) To develop digital health education work aimed at changes in lifestyle, healthy eating and physical activity as a way of preventing cardiovascular diseases and mental suffering.
What techniques and methods are used?
a) Identification of prevalence of modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors for CVD in the population studied (online questionnaire); b) Evaluation of study participants cardiovascular risk scores (Framingham Score Risk); c) Check mental health profile of the participants (Beck Depression Inventory, Beck's Anxiety Inventory, Self Reporting Questionnaire); d) Data analysis (Statistical analysis will be performed using SPSS for Windows (version 15.0, 2006, SPSS, Chicago, IL. USA), with a significance level of p <0.05); e) Making folders, booklets and digital applications that are used to prevent CVD in the population studied; f) Writing abstracts and scientific articles for publication and presentation at scientific events in the area.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
1.Sending data collection questionnaires, via e-mail, to high school and technical school students, as well as to employees of Federal University of Viçosa. , in order to determine the prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors and risk of mental illness of the research participants. 2.Identifying the prevalence of modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors for CVD in the studied population, assessment of cardiovascular risk scores (such as Framinghan) of the study participants and verification of the participants' mental health profile (Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) and a self-assessment psychometric device). 3.Statistical analysis of the data and interpretation of the results. 4.Making folders, booklets, digital applications and digital educational material, aiming a digital health education program with the objective of preventing CVD. 5.Systematizing the experiences carried out in this project in scientific publications to be presented in congresses and in our University’s Academic Integration Symposium with the dissemination of the results obtained. This is an ongoing research project. Tasks may vary accordingly to the present project phase.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
The student will participate in the department research group, with classes and seminars relevant to the research project.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare a scientific report - The student will prepare an abstract - The student’s name will be mentioned in a future publication - The student will have the opportunity to present the results together with the supervisor at a conference
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Critical thinking and problem solving, agility and adaptability, initiative, effective written communication.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- TEIXEIRA; R.B.; AMORIM; P.R.S.; MARINS; J. C. B.; MARTINS; Y. L. X.; MARQUES; S. S. M.; AGUIAR; V. P. R.; PALOTAS; A.; LIMA; L. M. Physical Inactivity is Liable to the Increased Cardiovascular Risk and Impaired Cognitive Profile. Current Alzheimer Research; v. 17; p. 1-8; 2020.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency