Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Evaluation of PAAF accurancy comparing it with the anatomopathologic in the diagnosis of thyroid cancer
Fiorita Gonzales Lopes Mundim
Fiorita Gonzales Lopes Mundim
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Thyroid cancer is the most common malignant neoplasia of the endocrine system. At present, it is diagnosed mainly by good clinical exams associated with fine needle aspiration (FNA), although the gold standard is the anatomopathological examination. Its treatment varies with the histological type based on the Bethesda System. In this perspective, this study aims to evaluate the accuracy of Fine needle Aspiration Biopsy (FNAB) in the Pouso Alegre (MG) microregion according to a comparative analysis of the results - FNAB and thyroidectomy - at the Hospital das Clinicas Samuel Libânio (HCSL) from 2014 to 2018. Thus, it is possible to identify the efficiency of FNAB in the region to the elaboration and planning of health policies and programs in a more efficient way, besides assisting in clinical decisions based on the pre-test probability, which will avoid likely inadequate interventions.
What is the aim of the project?
The objective will be to evaluate the accuracy of the initial diagnosis with fine needle aspiration (FNA) - only diagnostic tool to carry out the treatment of thyroid cancer (surgery / radioiodine therapy) - compared to the result of the total or subtotal thyroidectomy, and sorting them in various types, in the microregion of Pouso Alegre, in the period from 2014 to 2018.
What techniques and methods are used?
Design This is an observational, analytical, individual, transverse, retrospective study. Place of study The site of this study will be the Hospital das Clinicas Samuel Libânio (HCSL), located at Comendador José Garcia St., nº 777, Downtown, city of Pouso Alegre - MG. Sample The sample includes 50 patients from Hospital das Clinicas Samuel Libânio (HCSL) with thyroid cancer from 2014 to 2018. Data collection and analysis Data will be collected from the Hospital das Clínicas Samuel Libânio (HCSL) Tasy, using medical records. The results of fine needle aspiration (FNAB) will be analyzed jointly with thyroidectomy (partial or total), to confirm the diagnosis and the development of spreadsheets, in order to analyze the accuracy of Fine needle Aspiration Biopsy (FNAB) in the Pouso Alegre microregion (Minas Gerais). Inclusion and exclusion criteria Inclusion criteria were patients with fine needle aspiration (FNA) and / or thyroidectomy performed between 2014 and 2018. Those with the thyroidectomy result as benign neoplasia or metastatic thyroid tumors were excluded, in addition to the results that did not have the reports with the binomial: puncture / thyroidectomy available. Statistical method: The data will be collected in spreadsheets previously defined in Excel and from these results, the variables will be calculated in the statistical method SCP (statistical control of the process), in which will be generated control cards, it is, graphs, of each set of related variables.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Experiment activities in the pathology lab, for the knowledge of macroscopy, microscopy and citology for life experience. Mostly involving thyroid cancer. Learn about thyroid cancer through texts and practice activities, also through the tutor’s explanation. Analyze medical records involving thyroid cancer and the Excel table created using the medical records Learn about the prevalence of thyroid cancer in the microregion of Pouso Alegre. Analysis of cytological samples: 1)Conference and identification of bottles with orders through labeling 2)Enter the quantity and color of the material in the order 3)Use of the serological centrifuge for cell concentration 4)Dispose the material inside the acrylic blocks in the centrifuge, previously tagged 5)Centrifugation of the materials 6)Removal of materials and put the material in bottles previously tagged 7)Color 3 materials by hematoxylin eosin process 8)Color 1 material with methylene blue according to Giemsa 9)Go through assemblying 10)Make the laminas with clear varnish 11)Identifying the laminas
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
There will not be lectures, but there will be readings and practice activities with the tutor.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare an abstract - The student’s name will be mentioned in a future publication
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Subjects passed: histology.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- Albero FG. Diagnóstico de lesões da tireóide pela espectroscopia de absorção no infravermelho por transformada de Fourier – FTIR; 2008. p. 32-42.
- INCA. Incidência de Câncer no Brasil: Estimativa 2018. p. 47-48.
- Dartora K; Trindade FR. Perfil dos pacientes diagnosticado com câncer de tireoide em tratamento com iodoterapia em um Hospital do Rio Grande do Sul. Revista Destaques Acadêmicos. v. 7; set. 2015.
- Tessler FN; Middleton WD; Grant EG; Hoang JK; Berland LL; Teefey SA et al. ACR thyroid imaging; reporting and data system (TI-RADS): white paper of the ACR TI-RADS committee. Journal of the American college of radiology; 2017. v. 14; p. 587-595.
- Boelaert K; Horacek J; Holder RL; Watkinson JC; Sheppard MC; Franklyn JA. Serum thyrotropin concentration as a novel predictor of malignancy in thyroid nodules investigated by fine-needle aspiration. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism; 2006. v. 91; n. 11; p. 4295-4301.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency