Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Analysis of the anticancer effect of myxobacteria KYC4048 by regulating of WNT
Korea (KMSA) - KyungHee University, Seoul
Biochemistry&Molecular Biology Department, School of Medicine
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
Myxobacteria, a group of gram-negative soil bacteria belonging to the class Deltaproteobacteria, occur in a variety of habitats such as soil, decaying plant material, rotting wood. Myxobacteria are classified into 7 families, 22 genera, and 47 species, and produce a variety of bioactive secondary metabolites with cellular effects. More than 500 bioactive substances produced from myxobacteria have been identified and many of them are novel. In previous studies, we have sought to identify strains that exhibit toxic effects on breast cancer cells and no cytotoxicity in normal cells among various myxobacteria metabolites. We found that the metabolites of myxobacteria, KYC4048 induces apoptosis via wnt*/B-catenin signaling in MCF7 breast cancer cells. However, it is not known which single substance has anticancer effect in KYC4048. *The name Wnt is a portmanteau of int and Wg and stands for "Wingless-related integration site"
What is the aim of the project?
The purpose of our project is to identify a single bioactive substance that represents the anticancer effect in KYC4048 and identify the mechanism by which it occurs.
What techniques and methods are used?
In the studies, KYC4048 is separated into several fraction according to the polarity through HPLC(high-performance liquid chromatography), and the fraction that have anticancer effects on breast cancer cells are selected. Then, performed a western blot to confirm the protein expression level of involved signaling and identified to see if cell cycle arrest and apoptosis appear through FACs(Fluorescence-activated cell). 1. Cell Viability is measured with MTT* assay to identify anticancer effects on breast cancer cells in metabolites. *Abbreviation for the dye compound 3-(4,5-Dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromidefor. Measuring the functionality of animal and human cells. Colorimetric assay for measuring the activity of enzymes that reduce MTT or close dyes. 2. Perform western blot to measure protein expression levels. 3. Confirmed if cell cycle arrest and apoptosis are induced One-way/two-way repeated measures ANOVA(analysis of variance) is done by SPSS** for statistical analysis. **SPSS is the abbreviation of Statistical Package for Social Sciences and it is used by researchers to perform statistical analysis.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
1) to incubate the cells needed for the experiment 2) To conduct an MTT* assay to confirm the anticancer effect of the sample. *Abbreviation for the dye compound 3-(4,5-Dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromidefor. Measuring the functionality of animal and human cells. Colorimetric assay for measuring the activity of enzymes that reduce MTT or close dyes. 3) To perform western blot to confirm protein expression level of related signaling for mechanism analysis of samples 4) To handle FAC(Fluorescence-activated cell devices used to determine if cell cycle arrest and apoptosis are induced 5) To present data in front of lab members To participate in lab meeting and actively ask questions and discuss the research project The student may also be involved in statistical analysis - one-way/two-way repeated measures ANOVA(analysis of variance) - using SPSS**. ** SPSS is the abbreviation of Statistical Package for Social Sciences and it is used by researchers to perform statistical analysis.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Because we have lab meeting, students will have the opportunity to participate in presentations, ask questions and discuss. In addition, student can attend other seminars and also observe or attend various experiments. The tutor will provide related papers/ material at the first day. The tutor and other lab members will provide explanation during the lab meeting.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a presentation
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Strong motivation, concentration for experiments
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- D.H. Yun et al.; The Journal of KyungHee University Medical Center; Association Study of T869C TGFB-1 Polymorphism for the Susceptibility of Osteoarthritis; 2006
- K.S. Yoon; Inhibition of AMP-activated protein kinase sensitizes cancer cells to cisplatin-induced apoptosis via hyper-induction of p53; 293; Journal of Biological Chemistry; 2018
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency