Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Genetic Basic of Male Infertility in Jordan
Jordan (IFMSA-Jo) - Yarmouk University, Irbid
Department of Basic Medical Sciences Faculty of Medicine, Yarmouk University, Irbid 21163, Jordan
Mazhar Al Zoubi
Mazhar Al Zoubi
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Our research group is investigating the molecular and genetic basis of male inferetilty in Jordan. The current project is focusing in the mitochondrial DNA large deletions. The samples will be collected from infertile men who are visiting the IVF units at the military clinics in Royal Medical Services. Two major deletion will be screened by DNA sequencing after PCR amplification. In addition we are working on other chromosomal polymorphisms that may haev an association with men infertility and spermatozia abnormalities.
What is the aim of the project?
Detection of mtDNA deletions: This project is aimed to detect the large scale mutations in the mtDNA in infertile males from a Jordanian population by performing pre-enrichemt of the mtDNA from sperms. Then, the DNA will be sequencing by sanger sequencing.
What techniques and methods are used?
mtDNA extraction, Polymerase chain reaction, quantitiative real time polymerase reaction and DNA sequencing and sample collection.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
- If the project is clinical
- the student will take active part in the clinical examination
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
All technical works at the lab, including data collection, analysis and manuscripts drafting, Speceficaly, the vistiting students are exoected to perform some experimental approachs such as DNA extraction, polymerse chain reaction, RT-PCR and DNA sequencing. In addition, they are expected to participate in te jurnal club at the research lab. As well, we have running reseach projects that are assigned to master degree students, these projects are expected to provide additional impact on the upcoming visitors.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Yes, the intership will include theoritical lectures and a journal club.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare a scientific report - The student will prepare an abstract - The student will have the opportunity to present the results together with the supervisor at a conference
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Knowledge in basic sciences
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- Al Zoubi; MS; Al‐Batayneh; K; Alsmadi; M; et al. 4;977‐bp human mitochondrial DNA deletion is associated with asthenozoospermic infertility in Jordan. Andrologia. 2019; 00:e13379. https://doi.org/10.1111/and.13379
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency