Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Development of orally applicable insulin carbon quantum dot formulation for the treatment of Diabetes
Turkey (TurkMSIC) - Biruni University LC, Istanbul
Biruni University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology Besyol, Eski Londra Asfalti No:10, 34295 Kucukcekmece/Istanbul
Prof.Dr. I. Tuncer Degim
Prof.Dr. I. Tuncer Degim
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Please, provide the background of the project (Provide information about the project; min. 10 lines, max. 25 lines) In type 1 diabetes, the body does not produce insulin. The body breaks down the carbohydrates you eat into blood sugar that it uses for energy and insulin is a hormone that the body needs to get glucose from the bloodstream into the cells of the body.Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes and it means that your body doesn’t use insulin properly. And while some people can control their blood sugar levels with healthy eating and exercise, others may need medication or insulin to help manage it.Despite the fact that many investigations have been made for the administration of insulin by oral route and even there no products that are thought to be brought into the market have not been approved yet as a product for human use. Carbon quantum dots (CKN) are very promising as a nanotechnologic product. Nanotechnology based and tailored carbon based quantum dots wil be used fort he delivbery of insulin. Many studies dealing with nanotechnology have been performed by the in Biruni University and this will be helpfull.
What is the aim of the project?
What is the aim of the project? (Highly specific: purpose?) The goal of the project is to develop an effective and safe insulin- carbon quantum dot formulation that can be given orally and can be used in patients with diabetes mellitus (DM). Oral insulin delivery is a solution that can improve the quality of life of these patients incredibly. However, since the insulin molecule is in the peptide structure, it rapidly degrades and becomes ineffective when given orally. It has been shown that this illness, which directly affects human health and the workforce and success of the society, and which is increasing in the average age of the population and increasingly in more individuals, It is aimed to provide treatment with an easily acceptable dosage form by patients and to determine all the properties and parameters of the prepared system.
What techniques and methods are used?
What techniques and methods are used? Mention the steps/stages in this project. (Provide examples and avoid abbreviations; which tools will be used in general in this project?) A very special and recently developed tecnique has been used for the production of quantum dotsusing microwave radiation. There are also some other techniques have been using for preparastion and characterization (aseptic preparations in lasminar flow cabinet, sterile fitration, particle size measurements, zeta potentisls etc.). Quantum dots are also PEGylated (Adding polyethylene glycol groups on their surface) by special reactions
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student? (Minimum 10 lines, provide detailed explanation) - It is expected to enhance their perspective about nanotechnology based drugs and their preparations therefore they are accepoted to be joined to the group and to help during laboratory studies. - Learning types of diabetes - Learning basic endocrine system physiology - Have knowledge about the use of nanotechnology in medicine. - Learning cell surface protein - Learning cell transport mechanisms
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided for the student (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars)? Please describe how much teaching and by whom. The students will participate in weekly seminars that will be given by some of the professors of our department. If they want, they can also participate in doctorate level classes. They can also be informed about subjects outside of the scope of this project. (Prof.Dr. I. Tuncer Degim) -Cell surface protein -Cell membrane structure - Polymer Nanoparticles structure -Diabetes types
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a scientific report
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Subjects passed: 4th year medical student or higher level
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months)
- 1-Gulen Melike Demirbolat; Levent Altintas; Sukran Yilmaz; Ismail Tuncer Degim; “Development of Orally Applicable; Combinatorial Drug–Loaded Nanoparticles for the Treatment of Fibrosarcoma”; J. Pharm. Sci.; 107 (5); 1398-1407; 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xphs.2018.01.006
- 2-Ilbasmis-Tamer; Sibel; Tugcu-Demiroz; Fatmanur; Degim; Ismail Tuncer; “Carbon nanotube membranes to predict skin permeability of compounds”; Pharmaceutical Development and Technology; 22 (4); 606-616; 2017. https://doi.org/10.1080/10837450.2016.1221430
- 3-Ilbasmis-Tamer S; Çiftçi H; Türk M; Degim T and 3-Tamer U; Multiwalled Carbon nanotube-Chitosan Scaffold: Cytotoxic; apoptotic; and necrotic effects on chondrocyte cell lines; Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology; 18 (4); 327-335; 2017. 3- Duzlu; AU; Gunaydin; B; Sukuroglu; MK; Degim; IT; “Release Pattern of Liposomal Bupivacaine in Artificial Cerebrospinal Fluid”; Turkish Journal of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation; 44; 1-6; 2016. https://doi.org/10.2174/1389201018666170127105555
- 4-Sibel Ilbasmis-Tamer; Hande Unsal; Fatmanur Tugcu- Demiroz; Gokce Dicle Kalaycioglu;Ismail Tuncer Degim; Nihal Aydogan; Stimuli Responsive Lipid Nanotubes In Gel Formulations For The Delivery Of Doxorubicin; Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 143; 406–414; 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2016.03.070
- 5-S. Ilbasmiş-Tamer; S. Yilmaz; E. Banoğlu; I.T. Degim; Carbon nanotubes to deliver drug molecules; J Biomed Nanotechnol.; 6(1):20-7 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1166/jbn.2010.1099
- 6-I.T. Degim; D.J. Burgess; F. Papadimitrakopoulos; Carbon nanotubes for transdermal drug delivery; J Microencapsul. 27(8): 669-681 (2010). https://doi.org/10.3109/02652048.2010.506581
- 7-Sibel Ilbasmis – Tamer; Ismail Tuncer Degim; A feasible way to use carbon nanotubes to deliver drug molecules: transdermal application; Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery; 9(8): 991-999;2012. https://doi.org/10.1166/jbn.2010.1099
- 8-Ismail Tuncer Degim and Demet Kadioglu; Cheap; Suitable; Predictable and Manageable Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery: Quantum Dots; Current Drug Delivery; 10; 32-38; 2013.
- 9-Alina J. Andersen; Barbara Windschiegl; Sibel Ilbasmis- Tamer; Ismail T. Degim; Alan Christy Hunter; Thomas L. Andresen; Seyed Moein Moghimi; Complement activation by PEG-functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes is independent of PEG molecular mass and surface density; Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology; Biology; and Medicine; 9; 469–473; 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nano.2013.01.011
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency