Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Control of obesity actions in health systems within the Goiás state.
Federal University of Goiania (UFG)
Alessandra Vitorino Naghettini
Alessandra Vitorino Naghettini
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project without Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Obesity is currently a priority public health problem, with increasing prevalence in recent decades. Coping with obesity requires strengthening actions aimed at the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of obesity within the National Health system, in line with effective management, monitoring and evaluation strategies. The activities of this proposal will contribute to the improvement and qualification of nutritional care, the organization of services and management of food and nutrition actions through the development of research, training courses, followed by dissemination and discussion with the actors involved, besides evaluating and monitoring the effectiveness of the actions taken.
What is the aim of the project?
The objective of this study is to map the obesity care network and train professionals and managers for the diagnosis, prevention and control of obesity in the Primary Health Care of the State of Goiás. Perform diagnosis of the organization of management and nutritional care in the selected municipalities; ➢ Evaluate the nutritional profile of children and pregnant women based on data from the Food and Nutrition Surveillance System ➢ Identify the care network for the development of the obesity care line and develop a proposal for matriculation for primary care actions in the obesity care line in Goiânia; ➢ Develop a decision-making tool and support for municipal management of the National Food and Nutrition Policy ➢ Incubate a pole of the Health Academy Program in Goiás in order to combine extension, teaching and research actions. ➢ Promote in-service training for health managers and health workers to foster local initiatives for intersectoral and intersectoral articulation for health promotion, prevention and treatment of obesity; ➢ Produce and disseminate knowledge for the promotion, prevention, treatment and management of obesity. ➢ Identify the actions taken by health professionals for the management of obesity after the training course; ➢ Evaluate and monitor the obesity coping actions implemented by managers after the training course; ➢ Evaluate the effectiveness of training courses for health managers and workers in the organization of nutritional care and the promotion of body practices to combat obesity.
What techniques and methods are used?
Obesity is now a major public health problem, with increasing prevalence in recent decades. Fighting obesity requires the strengthening of actions aimed at the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of obesity within the Unified Health Systemin line with effective management, monitoring and evaluation strategies. The objective of this study is to map the obesity care network and train professionals and managers for the diagnosis, prevention and control of obesity within the scope of Primary Health Care in the state of Goias. Participating in the study are municipalities that have Core Support Primary Health Care, Polo Health Academy and Grow Healthy Project, totaling,73 municipalities in Goiás. The study will be conducted in 4 axes. A cross-sectional study will be conducted in the municipalities participating in the project. Data will be collected using an instrument prepared by the Ministry of Health, consisting of a semi-structured and self-administered electronic questionnaire addressed to managers and health professionals at the municipal level. The experiences of managing, organizing services and addressing obesity in primary care, including body practices, and other initiatives that can be reconciled to increase the resolution and effectiveness of nutritional care for obese people will be investigated. In addition to this diagnosis, focus groups will be conducted to know the perception of users of primary care about the services provided. This research strategy will be carried out in at least one municipality of each macroregional health. The results of the diagnosis will serve as a basis for the evaluation and development of teaching materials and tools that qualify nutritional attention and the management of food and nutrition actions. In the first, research and development, will be developed situational diagnosis of the care network of the organization of management and nutritional attention in selected municipalities, with emphasis on identifying the network of attention to the obesity care line. Twelve courses will be held in the training area, of which five will be for managers and representatives of the municipal health council, with a total of 146 positions and six for health professionals involved in the obesity care line, with a total of 176 vacancies. In the total number of vacancies are included 18 representatives of the regional health of the state in each one of the courses. These will be semi-presential with direct supervision of tutors in the practical content of the course. Active methodologies based on the principle of lifelong learning will be used. The monitoring and evaluation axis will consist of monitoring the actions developed by health professionals and managers for the management of obesity after a training course. To evaluate the effectiveness will be applied questionnaires to participants (self-completion), consisting of closed and open items to express comments, suggestions or criticisms of the modules developed. In assessing the learning of the course participants, the following aspects will be investigated: percentage of completion of virtual activities proposed; number of tutor-participant interactions and participant-participant; and application of theory in practice field, in-person visits. The fourth axis, scientific divulgation, will be carried out through scientific events to present the innovative experiences to face obesity identified in the Goiás Health Regionals and the structuring and maintenance of a dissemination channel on actions for the prevention and control of obesity, besides publications at scientific events and journals. The activities of this proposal will contribute to the improvement and qualification of nutritional care, organization of services and management of food and nutrition actions through the development of research, conducting training courses, followed by the dissemination and discussion with the actors involved, besides evaluating and monitoring the effectiveness of the actions carried out.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- If the project is clinical
- the student will take active part in the clinical examination
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
The student will develop situational diagnosis of the care network of the organization of management and nutritional attention in selected municipalities, with emphasis on identifying the network of attention to the obesity care line. Students participate in: - Construction of research instruments and communication material;; - Monitoring of project execution steps as the established means of verification; - Statistical analysis of research data; and - publicating the results.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Preliminary readings provided by the tutor. The readings will be sent by email. 2 hours of reading per day is believed to be sufficient for student performance.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare a scientific report - The student will prepare an abstract - The student’s name will be mentioned in a future publication - The student will have the opportunity to present the results together with the supervisor at a conference
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Communication, sociability; teaching, guides. Previous experience with: clinical group studys.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system - Students in biomedical fields
- ALEXANDRE; Veruska Prado; PEIXOTO; Maria do Rosario Gondim; SCHMITZ; Bethsáida de Abreu Soares and MOURA; Erly Catarina de. Factors associated with eating practices of the adult population of Goiânia; Goiás; Brazil. Rev. bras. epidemiol [online]. 2014; vol.17; no.1 [cited 2018-09-13]; pp.267-280. Available from: <http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1415790X2014000100267&lng=en&nrm=iso>. ISSN 1415-790X>.
- CARNEIRO; Carolina de Souza et al. Overweight and associated factors in adolescents from a Brazilian capital. Rev. bras. epidemiol.; Sao Paulo; v. 20; no. 2; p. 260-273; 2017.
- BRAZIL. Ministry of Health. Secretariat of Health Care. Department of Primary Care. NASF Guidelines. Brasilia: Ministry of Health; 2009.
- BRAZIL. Ordinance No. 2;446 of November 11; 2014. Redefines the National Health Promotion Policy. Official Gazette [of] Federative Republic of Brazil; Executive Branch; Brasilia; DF; 13 nov. 2014. Section 1; p. 68
- BRAZIL. Ministry of Health. Secretariat of Health Care. Department of Primary Care. National Policy on Food and Nutrition / Ministry of Health; Health Care Secretariat. Department of Primary Care.Basic. - 1. ed.; 1. reprint. - Brasilia: Ministry of Health; 2013. 84 p: il.
- BRAZIL. Ministry of Health. Health Surveillance Secretariat. Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Health Surveillance and Health Promotion. Vigitel Brazil 2017: surveillance of risk factors and protection for chronic diseases by telephone survey: estimates of frequency and sociodemographic distribution of factors of risk and protection for chronic diseases in the capitals of the 26 Brazilian states and the Federal District in 2017. Brasilia: Ministry of Health; 2018. 130 .: il.
- BRAZIL. Ministry of Health. Secretariat of Health Care. Department of Primary Care. Information Technology Center. Nutritional Status Report of individuals followed by period; phase of life cycle and index. State of Goiás. 2017. Accessed on: 13 Sep 2018. Available at: <http://dabsistemas.saude.gov.br/sistemas/sisvan/relatorios_publicos/relatorio-acompnutri.view.php>
- CARVALHO; Fabio Fortunato Brasil de; COHEN; Simone Cynamon; AKERMAN; Marco. Reflecting on the established in Health Promotion to problematize 'dogmas'. Health debate; Rio de Janeiro; v. 41; no. spe3; p. 265-276; set. 2017 Available at <http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S010311042017000700265&lng=en&nrm=iso>. Accessed on 12 September. 2018.
- FAO; IFAD; UNICEF; WFP and WHO. 2018. The state of food security and nutrition in the world. Fostering climate resilience in areas of food security and nutrition. FAO; Rome. 218p.
- SOLIZ F .; DAMNED; A. Guide to participatory community methodologies. Edition: Environmental Clinic. 2006
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency