Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Prevalence of enteroparasitosis in the Basic Health Unit (UBS) in São Bernardo do Campo
Faculdade de Medicina do ABC (FMABC)
Department of Parasitology, Faculdade de Medicina do ABC, Av. Lauro Gomes, 2000 - Vila Sacadura Cabral, Santo André - SP, 09060-870
Maria Lucia Tomanik Packer
Maria Lucia Tomanik Packer, Emerson Barbosa, Gabriel H. Araujo
English and Portuguese
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
Enteroparasitosis are diseases caused by parasites and/ or protozoa that libe in associations of endoparasitism that are defined as penetration and development of parasites or by multiplication of microorganisms in the human and animal intestine, not being a digestive system of the host. (FONSECA, et. Al, 2010). Parasitic diseases represent health problems that are related to the underdeveloped, especially in the regions of tropical, subtropical areas and lack of basic sanitation and to accompany the diseases improvements of life. They are pointed out as neglected by a group of diseases that affect neglected social classes (PEREIRA et al., 2010). The present study has an analytical and transversal character, where a prevalence of enteroparasitoses in the population in São Bernardo do Campo -SP will be evaluated. The samples are taken from the Basic Health Units (UBS) of the city to the Laboratory of Parasitology of the Faculdade de Medicina do ABC, where the coproparasitological techniques will be submittes to diagnose the possible enteroparasites. We hope to obtain the possible regions with high prevalences to describe the disease and as the best prophylactic measures according to the profile of the region.
What is the aim of the project?
Identify the areas with the highest incidence of parasite diseases and what are the conditions of the affected areas
What techniques and methods are used?
Parasitological techniques and surveys in parasitology laboratory database will be used to prepare the material and make it ready to the next step. The analysis of the prepared material will be made in the laboratory, the student will prepare the laminas and analyze them in an optical microscope.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
It is expected from the student the samples collecting and preparations, after instructions from the tutor, to analyze the biological material collected in the optical microscope and recognize the possible diseases related to this context in the study by recognizing the parasite. After the analysis, the results will be registered in Microsoft Excel tables by the student, these results will be used as epidemiologic indicator. The results will be discussed crossed with other regions data in Brazil to create and strategy to reduce the prevalence of the parasites, the student will be fully present and part of this process. It’s also expected that the student in the end of the exchange to be able to fully understand the relevance of data monitorization and study of these diseases in Brazil.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare an abstract
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Be able to work in groups, be organized and committed to the project.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- BENÍCIO; A.D.H.M. Estudo das condições de saúde das crianças do município de São Paulo; SP. Brasil; 1984-1985. IV- Doença diarreica. Rev. Saúde Pública v.21 n.1 São Paulo fev. 1987. Disponível em: <http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0034-89101987000100004&script=sci_ arttex t>. Acesso em: 14 de maio de 2011.
- BRASIL. Ministério da Saúde. Secretária de Vigilância em Saúde. Plano Nacional de Vigilância e Controle das Enteroparitoses. Brasília; 2005. Disponível em: <http://portal.saude.gov.br/portal/arquivos/pdf/Enteroparasitoses _Pano_nacional_%2006%2007%202005.pdf>. Acesso em 20 de maio de 2011.
- MANFROI; Angélica. Abordagem das parasitoses intestinais mais prevalentes na infância pelo médico de família e comunidade. Disponível em: <http://www.sbmfc.org.br/media/file/diretrizes/parasitoses.pdf>. Acesso em 09 de junho de 2011.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency