Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS: KNOWLEDGE AND PERCEPTIONS OF ADOLESCENTS
Universidade Federal de Roraima (UFRR)
Federal University of Roraima, Center of Health Sciences
Bianca Jorge Sequeira
Bianca Jorge Sequeira, Kristiane Alves Araújo, Simone Lopes Almeida and Calvino Camargo
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project without Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Roraima, a state belonging to the Brazilian Amazon, is one of the states with the highest rates of teenage pregnancy and the prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection among young people. This fact motivated the accomplishment of this study that is characterized as a prospective, cross-sectional research of mixed character (quantitative and qualitative) that will involve 400 adolescents, female and male, in the age range of 13 to 18 years, students of public schools in the state of Roraima, Brazil and that will be carried out in the period from February 2017 to February 2020. The objectives are: to evaluate the level of knowledge and beliefs of adolescents in Roraima about the prevention of Sexually Transmitted Infections, analyze the main sources of information on sexuality for adolescents, to evaluate the percentage of sexually active adolescents, check the percentage of sexually active adolescents adherence to condoms, investigate the sexual habits and behaviors of adolescents, to evaluate the main Sexually Transmitted Infections that affect adolescents and establish a comparative analysis of the level of knowledge about the prevention of Sexually Transmitted Diseases among adolescents living in rural and urban areas.
What is the aim of the project?
The present study is characterized as a prospective, cross-sectional study of mixed character (quantitative and qualitative) that will involve 400 adolescents, female and male, in the age group of 13 to 18 years, students of public schools in the state of Roraima and that will be carried out from February 2017 to February 2020. Data collection will be performed through the application of a semi-structured questionnaire. A meeting will be held with the parents or guardians of the research subjects at each of the schools involved to explain the objectives and methodology of the study. The questionnaires will be applied in four state schools in Roraima: Professor Vitória Mota Cruz, Gonçalves Dias, Ana Libória and Major Alcides Rodrigues dos Santos, located in the capital Boa Vista. Data collection will take place between August 2017 and December 2019.
What techniques and methods are used?
Student’s own performance: the student will have to study the prevalence of major sexually transmitted infections in the Amazon. This part of the study he/she will do alone. Work under supervision: the student will visit the schools where the research is being carried out, will participate in the application of the questionnaires and in the discussion of results
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
There are several tasks that the student is accomplished. First of all, the student will acquire knowledge about the adolescents of the Brazilian Amazon and their habits of life. Second, the student will see the Brazilian public health and can able to understanding the points positives and negatives about a public health service. Third, because of the development of the researching, he/she see the improving of the Brazilian epidemiologic data with the prevalence of the main sexually transmitted infections in Roraima, Then, in the future with this resulting, the professional training turn better, according with the reality of the region.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Yes, preliminary readings and discussion groups
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare a scientific report - The student will prepare an abstract
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
The student should be empathy, initiative. Moreover, she/he need to have communication skills and scientific and investigative spirit Subjects passed: Epidemiology or some subject with this knowledge
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Students in biomedical fields
- ARRAES; C.O. et al. Masculinidade; vulnerabilidade e prevenção relacionadas às doenças sexualmente transmissíveis/HIV/Aids entre adolescentes do sexo masculino: representações sociais em assentamento da reforma agrária. Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem. v. 6; n.21; p. 1.266-73; 2013.
- DE PONTES; M.A. et al. Comunicação entre pais e adolescentes acerca da sexualidade. Revista Eletrônica Gestão & Saúde; v. 5; p.2282-93; 2014.
- DIAS; F.L.A. et al. Riscos e vulnerabilidades relacionados à sexualidade na adolescência. Revista de Enfermagem da UERJ. v. 3; n. 18; p. 456-61; 2010.
- EISENSTEIN; E. Adolescência: definições; conceitos e critérios. Revista Adolescência e Saúde. v. 2; n. 6; p. 6-7; 2005. Disponível em: < http://www.adolescenciaesaude. com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=1672005> Acesso em: 01 de março de 2017.
- MALTA; D.C. et al. Saúde sexual dos adolescentes segundo a Pesquisa Nacional de Saúde dos Escolares. Revista Brasileira de Epidemiologia. v. 1; n. 14; p. 147-156; 2011.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency