Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Determination of biological markers of oxidative stress under the influence of dust-salt aerosols of the Pre-Aral region
Kazakhstan (KazMSA) - Karaganda State Medical University, Karaganda
Department of Biology, Karaganda State Medical University, Karaganda, Kazakhstan, 1000008
B.Zh.Kultanov, Professor, Doctor of Biological Sciences
Required:English Accepted: Kazakh, Russian, English
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Oxidative stress is considered to be an important component of various diseases. It represents a situation where there is an imbalance between the reactive oxygen species (ROS) and the availability and the activity of antioxidants. This balance is disturbed by increased generation of free radicals or decreased antioxidant activity. Identifying markers of oxidative stress has been the focus of many researchers. We are interested to determinate the markers of oxidative stress in the body of experimental animals after exposure of adverse environmental factors in particular, dust-salt aerosols of the Sub-Aral region, using biochemical and spectrophotometric methods.
What is the aim of the project?
To estimate the degree of influence of dust-salt aerosols of the Pre-Aral region on the health of experimental animals by determining the content of some biological markers of oxidative stress.
What techniques and methods are used?
The first stage of the study will be the process of etching rats in a special 150-liter cylindrical etching chamber with an extra-chamber placement of animals in individual boxes and dynamic supply of dust-salt aerosol. The next step will be blood sampling of rats from the tail vein for biochemical and spectrophotometric studies. To assess the state of oxidative stress in blood, the determination of the markers of oxidative stress will be carried out using the modified methods of Ye.N. Korobeinikova, P.P. Golikov, V.N. Vlassova.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
1. Accomplishing the process of etching rats with dust-salt aerosols will be done by the student under supervision. 2. Accomplishing the process of blood sampling of rats from the tail vein for biochemical and spectrophotometric studies will be done by the student under supervision. 3. Accomplishing the determination of the markers of oxidative stress will be carried out using the modified methods of Ye.N. Korobeinikova, P.P. Golikov, V.N. Vlassova will be done by the student under supervision. 4. It is expected that the search for modern publications on this topic in peer-reviewed journals will be carried out by student on his/her own.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
There will be a preliminary course of lectures and seminars
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare a scientific report - The student will prepare an abstract
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
The knowledge of the initial or basic level of molecular biology, genetics and biochemistry
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- 1. B.Yessilbaeva; V.Kislitskaya; Zh.Kenzhin; B. Kultanov; R.Dosmagambetova; Turmukhambetova. Assessment of negative factors influencing lipid peroxidation processes in men’s sperm of reproductive age in regions of Aral Sea. Biology and Medicine; 7(1); 2015. P. 1-3.
- 2. B. Kultanov; A. Seiilkhanova; N. Rogova; N. Tursynov; A. Ybraimzhanova; S. Turysbekova; G. Kalieva. Research of indicators of secondary catabolites of lipid peroxidation (LPO) and the endogenous intoxication of men living in ecologically unfavorable Kyzylorda region (Kazakhstan). The Febs Journal; volume 282; Supplement 1; July 2015.-Р.128.
- 3. Seiilkhanova Aigerim; Kislitskaya Valentina; Yessilbaeva Bayan; Yestemessova Karlygash; Rogova Nelli; Kultanov Berikbay; Turmukhambetova Anar; Dosmagambetova Raushan. Assessment of changes in biochemical indices of free radical oxidation in the semen of men living in the Aral Sea region /Free Radical Biologe and Medicine Journal; volume 86; Supplement 1; 2015. - Р.521.
- 4. Tatina E.; Ibraibekov Zhanbolat; Kenzhin Zhandos; Kislitskaya Valentina; Kultanov Berikbay; Dosmagambetova Raushan. Assessment of the histone like proteins treatment in men;s sperm; living at Aral Sea Region//Free Radical Biologe and Medicine Journal; volume 86; Supplement 1; 2015. - Р.529.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency