Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Planing and realization of clinical studies (focus lies on heart failure and aterial hypertension)
Germany (bvmd) - Universitaet des Saarlandes, Homburg
Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Intensive Care University Hospital of the Saarland Kirrbergerstr. 100, 66421 Homburg/Saar
Prof. Dr. med Michael Böhm
PD Dr. med Ingrid Kindermann
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project without Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
The project deals with the planning and realization of clinical studies. Those are mainly dealing with studies of heart failure and arterial hypertension. It is shown that there is a difference between sponsored studies and experimental studies. For the planning of sponsored studies, especially the administrative processes are having priority, such as the completion of the feasibility report, the dispatching of applications concerning ethics and contracts. Studies regarding own initiative should also include the acquirement of knowledge of the creating of study-protocols. For practical work the student should be present for the screening and recruiting of patients, inclusion, randomization, and the support of patients at the study visits.
What is the aim of the project?
The aim of the project is to plan the realization of studies from the administrative parts until the patients screening and recruitment as well as which methods should be used best. The studies which are planned though this project are sponsored as well as lead by own initiatives. The project also includes studies with basic research e.g. on heart failure or Toll-like receptors.
What techniques and methods are used?
During the studies different methods are being used. The psycho-cardiologic studies consist of questionnaires and tests taken with a computer. During the interventional studies procedures are being used such as renal denervation or a cardiac catheterization, for example with the implantation of stents or microchips. During the electrophysiological studies imaging methods (Magnetic Resonance Imaging = MRI/ fluoroscopy) are being applied. During all those procedures the student is allowed to be present to get to know the methods.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
The student should be present during every day meetings in the morning and take part in the discussion with the study team. He/she should be present during the medical rounds of the patients and also help with the monitoring to observe the realization of the study results. During the medical rounds of the study he/she should accompany the study-doctor and should also support the patients during the interventions. He/she should be prepared about the daily patients and their background (esp. medical history). He/she should observe the single steps of the study and learn how a study works in general.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
- daily meeting with the study-team - participation at the weekly advanced educations on a regular basis - weekly participation at the meeting of the study group „clinical heart failure“ - participation in monitoring and congresses.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare an abstract - The student’s name will be mentioned in a future publication
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
medical as well as pathophysiological basic knowledge is necessary. Preferable are experiences with clinical studies, good clinical practice (online-course) and blood sampling.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
The compliance of Good Clinical Practice (GCP; 2016)
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Students in biomedical fields
- The Cognitive Impairment in Heart Failure study (CogImpair-HF). European Journal of Heart Failure. 2012;14:404-413
- Bunz et al.: Heart-focused anxiety in patients with chronic heart failure before implantation of an implantable cardioverter defibrillator:
- Anatomical and procedural determinants of ambulatory blood pressure lowering following catheter-based renal denervation using radiofrequency; doi: 10.1016/j.carrev.2018.02.016 -
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency