Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Lumbar punction situation in infant specimen under one year old that show simple feverish convulsion
Morocco (IFMSA-Morocco), Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy of Rabat, Rabat
Neuro-pediatric department, Ibn Sina university hospital, Rabat
Pr. Kriouille Yamma ; email@example.com
Pr. Kriouille Yamma / Pr. Meryem Salhi
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project without Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
It is frequently thought that lumbar puncture (LP), is a mandatory procedure in all children who have fever and a seizure or convulsions; because a convulsion may be the sole clinical manifestations of bacterial meningitis. However, proceeding of the lumbar punction in infants under one year changes in different countries. This punction is authorized in certain countries for infants that show a simple feverish convulsion, in other countries it isn’t. this project is to determine the negative effect of lumbar punction that might discourage clinicians from recommending it.
What is the aim of the project?
The aim of the project is to study the intake of lumbar punction in the care of infants presenting a simple feverish convulsion and the negative impact it might have.
What techniques and methods are used?
consultations: basic medical examination and clinical assessment of the patients, selections based on the result of the anamnesis and the physical examination of the patient.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Participate in the anamnesis and physical examination (and its different steps) of the patient in order to select the infants who fit the research criteria, perform a lumbar punction (also known as spinal tap, which is a medical procedure in which a needle is inserted into the spinal canal, most commonly to collect cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)) whenever possible and participate in the data collection and storage in the research project’s database.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
An introduction and reminder of the basics of medical examination and the use of lumbar punction will be delivered by the tutor at the beginning of the exchange.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a scientific report
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- "Lumbar puncture in infants"; Hildebrand WL; Stevens DC; Gosling CG; Sternecker CL; Schreiner RL. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6823791)
- "Role of lumbar puncture for febrile seizure among infants under one year old"; Tinsa F; El Gharbi A; Ncibi N; Bouguerra C; Ben Aissia W; Zouari B; Boussetta K; Bousnina S; (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20415191).
- "Lumbar puncture in infants"; Hildebrand WL; Stevens DC; Gosling CG; Sternecker CL; Schreiner RL. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6823791) "Role of lumbar puncture for febrile seizure among infants under one year old"; Tinsa F; El Gharbi A; Ncibi N; Bouguerra C; Ben Aissia W; Zouari B; Boussetta K; Bousnina S; (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20415191). “An assessment of the necessity of lumbar puncture in children with seizure and fever.”; Ghotbi F; Shiva F. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19438132).
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency