Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Comorbid diagnoses and psychopathological features in Autism Spectrum disorders
Azerbaijan (AzerMDS ) - Azerbaijan Medical University, Baku
Professor GerayGeraybeyli, MD, PhD, DoSc
Assistant Professor IkramRustamov, MD, PhD
English, Russian, Turkish
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project without Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
There is a lack of scientific datas about Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) in Azerbaijan. Due to increasing trend of ASD in the world, it is a huge problem for all the people. The similar happens in Azerbaijan. So we are planning to investigate all the aspects of ASD in Azerbaijani kids. We are going to examine all the kids with developmental problems, putting exact diagnoses according to DSM-5criterias (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) , and checking all the psychopathological features with standardized methods
What is the aim of the project?
Aim is to study preliminary epidemiological data about the ASD and comorbid diagnoses in Azerbaijan. The main priority is to learn exact medical and psychopatological features in ASD kids, which can be specific for our country or in general.
What techniques and methods are used?
1- Psychiatric Examination based on DSM-% criterias, 2- Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ), 3- Development and Well-being Assessment (DAWBA), 4- Eyberg Child Behaviour Inventory, 5-Sleep Checklist and 6- Sociodemographic data form
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Student will work with patients` family to fill the forms, help parents to explain the pathological processes and complaints correctly. And also student will take place in examinations and screening procedures. The analysis and examining results will be performed under supervision.And the results will be discussed with professors.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation - The student’s name will be mentioned in a future publication - The student will have the opportunity to present the results together with the supervisor at a conference - No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- Matson JL1; Shoemaker M.Intellectual disability and its relationship to autism spectrum disorders Research in Developmental Disabilities 2009 Nov-Dec;30(6):1107-14. doi: 10.1016/j.ridd.2009.06.003. Epub 2009 Jul 14. DOI: 10.1016/j.ridd.2009.06.003 Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2009.06.003 Simonoff E1; Pickles A; Charman T; Chandler S; Loucas T; Baird G.Psychiatric disorders in children with autism spectrum disorders: prevalence; comorbidity; and associated factors in a population-derived sample.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2008 Aug;47(8):921-9. doi: 10.1097/CHI.0b013e318179964f. DOI: 10.1097/CHI.0b013e318179964f Available from: https://doi.org/10.1097/CHI.0b013e318179964f
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency