Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
[Guadalajara] Hospital Infection Surveillance Program for Nosocomial Diarrhea by Clostridium difficile
Universidad de Guadalajara
Instituto de Patología Infecciosa y Experimental Dr, Francisco Ruiz Sánchez Antiguo Hospital Civil de Guadalajara Fray Antonio Alcalde Escuela de Medicina, Centro Universitario de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Guadalajara.
Dra. Maria del Rayo Morfin Otero
Dr. Eduardo Gómez Sánchez
Type of Research Project
- Global Action Project (GAP)
What is the background of the project?
Clostridium difficile is the most common agent found worldwide in nosocomial diarrheas. Mexico is not exception for this. December 2013 was the first time a huge outbreak of nosocomial diarrheas caused by 027 strain, this caused a creation of a team designated to study all nosocomial diarrheas and to identify the ones caused by C. Difficile with the intention to detect probable cases for C difficile diarrhea, to provide early treatment and stablish control and prevention measurements to avoid new outbreak at the hospital
What is the aim of the project?
What techniques and methods are used?
Clinical screening, DNA-based test that detect C. difficile, follow up.
What is the role of the student?
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Lectures and Seminars at Escuela de Medicina, Centro Universitario de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Guadalajara and Infectious Disease Department
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare a scientific report
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- Clostridium difficile infection. Leffler DA; Lamont JT. N Engl J Med. 2015 Apr 16;372(16):1539-48. doi: 10.1056/NEJMra1403772.
- Strategies to prevent Clostridium difficile infections in acute care hospitals: 2014 Update. Dubberke ER1; Carling P; Carrico R;et al Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014 Jun;35(6):628-45. doi: 10.1086/676023.
- Morfin-Otero Rayo; Garza-Gonzalez Elvira; Aguirre-Diaz Sara A.; Escobedo- Sanchez Rodrigo; Esparza-Ahumada Sergio; Perez-Gomez Hector R. et al . Clostridium difficile outbreak caused by NAP1/BI/027 strain and non-027 strains in a Mexican hospital. Braz J Infect Dis [Internet]. 2016 Feb [cited 2017 June 24] ; 20( 1 ): 8-13. Available from: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1413- 86702016000100008&lng=en. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bjid.2015.09.008.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency