Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Study of the effect of body mass index (BMI) on the effectiveness of systemic treatment of breast cancerroject
Ukraine (UMSA) - Dnepropetrovsk Medical Academy, Dnipro
1) Department of oncology and medical radiology 2) Dnipro regional multifield clinical hospital №4
1) Bondarenko Igor M.MD, Professor
1) Zavizion Viktor F.,Associate Professor, PhD Hohouj 2) Mohammad I.,Professor assistant, MD, MSo
English, Ukrainian, Russian
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project without Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Breast cancer ranks first in the frequency of occurrence in Ukraine and every third woman is overweight. Often, scientists observe that chemotherapy in people with an increased BMI is not effective enough than in people with normal body weight. These manifestations are associated with hormonal activity of adipose tissue, which often hinders this stage of treatment. Another problem of treating such patients is the prescription of drugs. Internship participant will study: - influence of obesity on the development of breast cancer. - the frequency of increase in BMI in patients with breast cancer. - evaluation of the positive predictive value of increased BMI on the survival prognosis. - evaluation of the survival prognosis depending on the chosen chemotherapeutic regimen. In addition, during the internship, the Department of Oncology DMA (Dnipropetrovsk Medical Academy) conducts a summer school of oncology. the participant has the opportunity to improve his theoretical skills and learn how to write a scientific paper.
What is the aim of the project?
The aim of the study is to study the typical complications of systemic treatment of breast cancer, depending on the body mass index in different groups of the molecular type of breast cancer.
What techniques and methods are used?
The participant works with patients: - Performs examination of patients (collection of anamnesis, stage definition together with the leader). - Produces anthropometry (weight, height, abdominal circumference). - Calculates body mass index for each patient. - Forms groups of patients depending on the stage, body mass index, and selected chemotherapeutic regimen. - Evaluates the laboratory data, the results of the computerized tomography of each patient and records the data in the excel table. - Evaluates the tumor response to the treatment received. At the end of the internship, the participant performs statistical processing of the data using statistical methods: - Summary and grouping of statistical observation materials (forms groups of patients). - Correlation and regression analysis (examines the possible relationship of patient indicators). - Rows of dynamics. To estimate the experimental data, we use: - Determination of the confidence interval of the mean and variance. - Definition of Student's test. - Determination of the probability of error. Based on the findings, the participant formulates conclusions and writes an article
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
1) Performs clinical examination of patients. 2) Produces the patient's Anthropometry and calculates the body mass index. 3) Together with the head will determine the stage of the disease, and the molecular type of breast cancer. 4) studies the features of the diagnosis of breast cancer. 5) Evaluates the CT scan with the supervisor. 6) Assess the laboratory performance of each patient before the start of treatment and after the course / course of chemotherapy. 7) Assess the patient's response to the treatment received. 8) performs statistical processing of the received data (PPV (positive prognostic value), odds ratio). Postscript. All methods will be monitored
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
The internship includes a partial participation in the Summer School Oncologyfrom Ukrainian Medical Student Association unit preparation for assisting in operations, several lectures on these diseases, the course of writing scientific work.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a scientific report
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts:
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency