Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Biological, molecular and clinical aspects of pollen allergens’ specificityw Project
Ukraine (UMSA) - Vinnytsia National Medical University, Vinnytsia
1)Tuberculosis, clinical immunology and allergy department 2)Pharmacy department
1) Kulyk L.G., Associate Prof., PhD 2) Voloshyk N. I., prof., d.med.s
Prof. Victoria Rodinkova, Dr. Sci. Biol., Associate Prof. Artemii Bogomolov, PhD
English, Ukrainian, Russian
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
The high prevalence of allergic diseases is one of the main causes of the concern of health care professionals in the world, as well as the subject of study in a variety of regional and international epidemiological, immunological and clinical studies. Increased number of public and official organizations are sending governments' attention to allergies, pointing out problems with the diagnosis and treatment of people with allergies, and predicting an estimated number of such people at one billion. In the world, according to the generally approved nomenclature of allergens, it is accepted to distinguish between major and minor components of allergens, which together form the "cocktail", that causes allergic reactions. However, allergens, that are used for the allergy diagnosis in some region, can be extracted from the raw materials grown at another region. Thus, these allergens may have the integral major-minor structure, which is different from that of allergens, whichare spread in the domestic area of the patient due to anotherenvironmentalcondition, including air pollution, which may change the chemical properties of the allergens.
What is the aim of the project?
The aim of the project is to improve the efficiency of diagnostics and subsequent allergen-specific immunotherapy (ASIT) of allergic diseases
What techniques and methods are used?
- It is planned to perform physical examination, skin prick testing, laboratory (immunoassay, immunoblotting) and instrumental examination of patients with allergic rhinitis and / or atopic bronchial asthma according to generally accepted methods and familiarize participants with the monitoring of airborne allergens done in Vinnytsia region. Statistical method of Mann- Whitney u test is used to evaluate an experimental data.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
The student will perform a part of physical examination of the patients, skin prick testing, lab investigations (Western-blotting), differential diagnosis methods. What is more, while working in the Laboratory of Aerobiology, students will be involved into the preparation of air samples, observation and identification of allergens under mentor’s supervision.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
1)No specific skills are required 2) Biology, Internal medicine, Allergology should be passed
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- Changes in molecular structure of silver birch pollen allergen in different climatic areas of Ukraine. Bogomolov; A.; Zaikov; S. Allergy.Volume 71; Issue Supplement S102 P.465.
- Assessment of allergen specific IgE to pollen allergens in allergic patients from Central Ukraine.VRodinkova; A Bogomolov; O Bobelo; L Du Buske. - ALLERGY 72; 547-548B.
- Sikoparija . C. A. Skjøth . S. Celenk . C. Testoni . T. Abramidze . K. AlmKubleret. al. Spatial and temporal variations in airborne Ambrosia pollen in Europe.- Aerobiologia (2017) 33:181–189
- Airborne pollen spectrum and hay fever type prevalence in Vinnitsa; central UkraineActaAgrobotanica; (2015); 68 (4): 383-389
- IdaliaKasprzyk; Victoria Rodinkova; IngridaŠaulienė; Olga Ritenberga; AgnieszkaGrinn-Gofron; Malgorzata Nowaket. al. Air pollution by allergenic spores of the genus Alternaria in the air of central and eastern Europe. Environmental Science and Pollution Research (2015); 22 (12): 9260–9274
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency