Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Incidence of Diagnosed Breast Cancer during Mammographic Screening. ( Kasr El Eini University)
Egypt (IFMSA-Egypt) - Kasr El Eini University, Cairo
Radiography department- Kasr Al Ainy Hospital/ Cairo University
Dr. Hanan Gewefel
Dr. Hanan Gewefel; Dr. Eman Hosny
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project without Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
The perceived value of mammography in early detection of breast cancer is such that its quality should become an expanding regulatory component of public health policy. Using the database search system (medical audit), which have been created in WAFI, large sector of mammography study done with the result was either normal or with benign findings which do not need further work follow up. What we can name Screening mammography. On contrary Diagnostic mammography need intense, extended direct patient contact. Unlike in developed countries, breast examinations (self and regular mammography) are neglected in developing countries
What is the aim of the project?
1- Teaching the students basic definitions/steps/uses of conducting a primary research. 2- Understanding the use of mammography in detecting tumors and it’s different types: screening mammography and diagnostic mammography. 3- Learning how to analyze a breast scan to detect results related to the project. 4- Calculating the incidence and relation between mammography and breast cancer.
What techniques and methods are used?
1)Identification of problem as well as having a clear goal about the purpose of undertaking of research. 2) Design an appropriate research plan (probably using case study type of a resarech) 3) Data collection using screening mamography and diagnostic mamography low dose x-ray. 4) Data analysis using modeling and alogrithms depending on inferential stastics of two variables.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
1) reading and analyzing different mammography scans after proper training. 2) Design an appropriate research plan (probably using case study type of a resarech) 3) Data collection using screening mamography and diagnostic mamography low dose x-ray. 4) Data analysis using modeling and alogrithms depending on inferential stastics of two variables. 5) preparing a presentation/report at the end of the program based on his findings.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
yes, basic training sessions on basics of a research it's methods for data gathering and analysis.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
It would be ideal if the students were aware of the anatomy of the breast, the different breast diseases, breast cancer epidemiology world-wide, and if possible the different treatment modalities. Having basic computer skills would help.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- -Breast cancer screening with mammography: overview of Swedish randomised trials
- -REDUCTION IN MORTALITY FROM BREAST CANCER AFTER MASS SCREENING WITH MAMMOGRAPHY: Randomised Trial from the Breast Cancer Screening Working Group of the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency