Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Prevalence of Methicilin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) strains isolated from specimens of the patients admited to National scientific and practical center for Emergency Medicine
Moldova (ASRM) - State University of Medicine and Pharmacy Nicolae Testemițanu, Chișinău
Microbiology, Virology and Immunology
English - required; Romanian, Russian - accepted
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
S. aureus is ubiquitous and may be a part of normal human flora. This organism is responsible for surgical wound infections, nosocomial pneumonia and bloodstream infections. Infections with Staphylococcus aureus have increased in past 20 years, and the rise in incidence has been acquired by the rise of antibiotic-resistant-strains, in particular, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). We are interested to determine the prevalence of this organism in specimens from patients from different departments of the Center of emergency medicine, where patients come with diverse injuries that allows determination of various ways of infection.
What is the aim of the project?
The aim of the project is to determine the frequency of isolation of MRSA in patients hospitalized in National Center of Emergency Medicine, and evolution of rates of isolation of MRSA strains over a 3 year period (2014-2016), to determine the character of acquisition of infection based on procedures performed on the patient.
What techniques and methods are used?
Data collection from hospital archives, work books and database of the Automated Microbial Identification System (Vitek 2)
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
- Data collecting from labwork books and databases of the Automated Microbial Identification System (Vitek 2) - Isolation of strains of Staphylococcus aureus - Testing the antibiotic resistance of Staphylococcus aureus isolated strains - Statistical data analisys of data collected from lab work books and databases
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Yes, an introductive course on the topic of MRSA infections
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare an abstract - The student’s name will be mentioned in a future publication
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Fundamental sciences and statistical data analisys
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- Methicilin resistant Staphylococcus aureus http://www.pnas.org/content/99/11/7687.full
- Staphylococcal infections http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/228816-overview
- Use of Vitek 2 Antimicrobial Susceptibility Profile To Identify mecC in Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency