Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Insulin and leptin action and mechanisms of action in granulosa cells
Spain (IFMSA Spain) - University of Sevilla, Sevilla
Medical Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Immunology
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
Granulosa cells from ovarian follicles express insulin and leptin receptors mediating the expression of important genes implicated in steroidogenesis. Leptin and insulin resistance are common in obesity and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome that is why it is important to study the relationship between those diseases and the expression of receptors in granulosa cells, in order to get therapeutic results.
What is the aim of the project?
Study the action and mechanisms of action of insulin and leptin on granulosa cells.
What techniques and methods are used?
Cells culture, immunoblot, quantitive PCR, transfection, overexpression.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
He should learn to manipulate cells, culture them, use different types of stains, lysate, analyze samples by SDS-PAGE and immunoblot, overexpress and inhibit expression of proteins. He must be able to interpret the results through microscopic study. On the other hand, he will have to analyze the results and transfer them to clinical practice and see the consequences that this study could have on patients.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare a scientific report - The student will prepare an abstract
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
cell culture skills, basic laboratory techniques, immunoblot, qPCR Requirement of subjects passed: biochemistry and physiology
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- 1. Phospholipase C-related but Catalytically Inactive Proteins Regulate Ovarian Follicle Development. Matsuda M; Hirata M. J Biol Chem. 2017 Mar 30
- 2. Molecular basis of growth; proliferation; and differentiation of mammalian follicular granulosa cells. Kranc W; Budna J et al. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2017 Jan-Mar;31(1):1-8.
- 3. Caloric restriction and IGF-I administration promote rabbit fecundity: Possible interrelationships and mechanisms of action. Sirotkin AV; Florkovicova IK et al. Theriogenology. 2017 Mar 1;90:252-259
- 4. Identification of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Specific Genes in Cumulus and Mural Granulosa Cells. Aydos A; Gurel A et al. PLoS One. 2016 Dec 20;11(12)
- 5. Dual effect of insulin resistance and cadmium on human granulosa cells - In vitro study. Belani M; Shah P; Banker M; Gupta S.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2016 Dec 15;313:119-130.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency