Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Implementation of a data system to better characterize Brazilian colorectal cancer screening population
Brazil (IFMSA-Brazil) - Faculdade de Ciencias da Saude de Barretos Dr. Paulo Prata, Barretos
Department of Endoscopy/ Cancer Prevention Institute, Barretos Cancer Hospital Rua Antenor Duarte Villela, 1331 - Dr. Paulo Prata, Barretos - SP, 14784-400
Denise Peixoto Guimaraes
English, French, Portuguese.
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
DESCRIPTION:Colorectal cancer is the third leading cancer in men and the second in women, in Brazil. Despite the high disease burden, little is know about the prevalence of colorectal neoplasia in an asymptomatic population in Brazil. Characterizing the clinical of a screening population and assessing baseline prevalence of colorectal neoplasia will assist the Barretos Cancer Hospital screening, recently implemented, and a future national colorectal cancer prevention strategy. AIM:To implement a data system to track participants in the CRC (Colorectal Cancer) screening program and measure screening outcomes. USED TECHNIQUES: The student will do literature search on online database, such as Scielo, PubMed and SCOPUS, compare statistics and interpret the whole data which will be collected. Furthermore, he will do practical activities to help the tutor in the implementation of an organized community-based colorectal cancer screening. After it, the student will learn about how to write articles and reviews
What is the aim of the project?
To implement a data system to track participants in the CRC screening program and measure screening outcomes.
What techniques and methods are used?
Literature search, data collection, scientifique writting, statistics.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Participation in research participants enrollment, data collection and analysis.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare a scientific report
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Student is expected to be responsible, have commitment to the research project, to be ready to learn and interest in GI cancer prevention
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- Stegeman I; de Wijkerslooth TR; Stoop EM; van Leerdam ME; Dekker E; van Ballegooijen M; Kuipers EJ; Fockens P; Kraaijenhagen RA; Bossuyt PM. Colorectal cancer risk factors in the detection of advanced adenoma and colorectal cancer. Cancer Epidemiol. 2013 Jun;37(3):278-83
- Lieberman DA; Prindiville S; Weiss DG; Willett W; VA Cooperative Study Group 380. Risk factors for advanced colonic neoplasia and hyperplastic polyps in asymptomatic individuals. JAMA. 2003 Dec 10;290(22):2959-67.
- CORREA; Romualdo da Silva et al . Rectal cancer survival in a Brazilian Cancer Reference Unit. J. Coloproctol. (Rio J.); Rio de Janeiro ; v. 36; n. 4; p. 203-207; Dec. 2016 .
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency