Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Molecular profile of breast cancer
Brazil (IFMSA-Brazil) - Faculdade de Ciencias da Saude de Barretos Dr. Paulo Prata, Barretos
Molecular Oncology Research Center(CPOM), Barretos Cancer Hospital Rua Antenor Duarte Villela, 1331 - Dr. Paulo Prata, Barretos - SP, 14784-400
Dr. Rui Manuel Reis
Dr. Marcia M. Marques
English, Spanish, Portuguese.
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
DESCRIPTION: Breast cancer is the disease that concerns the most women, because of its damage and the emocional burden that comes with the illness. This condition is a genetically and clinically heterogeneous disease in which reliable prognostic and predictive markers are still lacking. However is a lack of good biomarkers that can be use to early detection. Furthermore, we have genes as BRCA1 and BRCA2 which are very related with breast cancer cases. AIM: USED TECHNIQUES:
What is the aim of the project?
The aim of this project is to identify biomarkers of early detection of breast cancer together with image analysis (mammography).
What techniques and methods are used?
DNA and RNA extractions, quality control by Bioanalyzer, Digital PCR, Real Time PCR, Nanostring technologie, cell culture.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
During the research exchange the student needs to participate of our journal club that occur one day per week and discuss with the tutor and PhD students the activities developed in the laboratory.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
The students can participate of semanal lectures with the tutor.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a presentation
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Is important that the students have basis on genetics.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- AFSHAR; Akbar Safipour et al . Growth inhibition of human breast cancer cells and down-regulation of ODC1 and ADA genes by Nepeta binaloudensis. Rev. bras. farmacogn.; Curitiba ; v. 27; n. 1; p. 84-90; Feb. 2017
- SEREDA; Maksym; ABRATT; Raymond. Cost considerations in determining the affordability of adjuvant trastuzumab in breast cancer (1). SAMJ; S. Afr. med. j.; Cape Town ; v. 107; n. 1; p. 8-9; Jan. 2017 .
- JERONIMO; Aline Ferreira de Araujo; FREITAS; Angela Gabrielly Quirino; WELLER; Mathias. Risk factors of breast cancer and knowledge about the disease: an integrative revision of Latin American studies. Cienc. saude coletiva; Rio de Janeiro ; v. 22; n. 1; p. 135-149; Jan. 2017 .
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency