Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Functional and molecular imaging of neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative disorders
Portugal (PorMSIC) - University of Coimbra, Coimbra
ICNAS - Instituto de Ciencias Nucleares Aplicadas a Saude Polo das Ciencias da Saude Universidade de Coimbra Azinhaga de Santa Comba 3000-548 COIMBRA PORTUGAL IBILI Scientific Coordinator: Miguel Castelo-Branco, M.D., Ph.D. Azinhaga Santa Comba,
Miguel Castelo-Branco, M.D., Ph.D.
Staff of ICNAS and IBILI
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
The University of Coimbra has an axis of national leadership in medical imaging emerging form three pillars: IBILI (with around 70 PhDs and 200 researchers) which obtained the evaluation of Excellent in the last 3 evaluations performed International Panels (since 1999), the National Brain Imaging Network, a consortium of 5 Universities with the leadership of the U. of Coimbra, where the main central equipment is located and which obtained funding within the scope of the National Program for Scientific Reequipment, after international evaluation, and the Institute for Nuclear Sciences Applied to Medicine (ICNAS), which is leading in novel molecular probe production and molecular imaging (given strong cyclotron and radiopharmacy related facilities). These pillars unite in the largest medical imaging center in Portugal and have technical and scientific relevance at the European scale.Our Scientific Program focuses on the strengths of the scientific strengths of the implementation team, is built on several pillars, and is justified by the production that was already achieved in the first years of operation of the Brain Imaging Network of Portugal. The Cognitive Neurosciences Pillar will include a Vision, Perception and Decision-making research stream and another organized around the Themes of Language, Semantic Memory Organization, Conceptual Knowledge and Object Categorization.
What is the aim of the project?
The Clinical Neurosciences Pillar will continue scientific production along 5 Themes: 1. Normal Ageing: Cognitive Models and Neuroimaging 2. Neurodegenerative Disorders with a focus of mechanisms of disease, impaired neurotransmission and neurophysiology 3. Neurodevelopmental Disorders with a similar focus on multimodal explanatory approaches 4. Cortical plasticity in the maturing and adult brain: implications for neurorehabilitation 5. Neuropsychiatric disorders, with a focus on decision making and cognitive control. We are now expanding to Imaging consortia in the fields of Cardiology and Oncology.
What techniques and methods are used?
We are ready to commit the resources of the National Brain Imaging Network of Portugal (annual budget, 1,2 million Euros). Data derived from the following equipment is accessible to the project, (from prior research or from the planned activities): 1)Siemens Tim TRIO 3 Tesla Scanner; 2)Gemini Phillips PET Scanner - whole-body PET/CT scanner with gated and list-mode; 3) TMS system; 4) fNIR system; 5) Cyclotron; 6) Brain computer interface applications systems; 7) High resolution Eyetracking; 8) MR compatible eyetracking; 9) VR facility with MR compatible goggles; 10) Psychophysiological Biopac recording system -Biopac MP 150; 11) MR compatible Magconcept device to measure limb motion; 12) MR compatible olfactometer; 13) Visual electrophysiology system; 14) Visual, auditory stimulation and response collection devices
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
1)Siemens Tim TRIO 3 Tesla Scanner; 2)Gemini Phillips PET Scanner - whole-body PET/CT scanner with gated and list-mode; 3) TMS system; 4) fNIR system; 5) Cyclotron; 6) Brain computer interface applications systems; 7) High resolution Eyetracking; 8) MR compatible eyetracking; 9) VR facility with MR compatible goggles; 10) Psychophysiological Biopac recording system -Biopac MP 150; 11) MR compatible Magconcept device to measure limb motion; 12) MR compatible olfactometer; 13) Visual electrophysiology system; 14) Visual, auditory stimulation and response collection devices
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
No previous requirements
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- Alves; V.H; Abrunhosa; A.; Castelo-Branco; M. (2015);?Synthesis of (R)-[N-METHYL-11C]PK11195. Radiochemical Syntheses; volume 2: Further Radiopharmaceuticals for PET and New strategies for their production; Edited by Peter J.H. Scott; Chapter 10.
- Alves;V.H.;?Prata;M.I.M; Abrunhosa; A.J.; Castelo-Branco M. (2015);?GMP production labelled DOTA-NOC on IBA Synthera.?Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear
- Amaral; C.;?Simoes; M.; Castelo-Branco; M. (2015);?Neural Signals Evoked by Stimuli Social Scene Complexity Are Detectable at the Single-Trial Level and Right Lateralized.?PlOS ONE;?DOI:
- Almeida; P.;?Vieira; A.; Canario; N.; Castelo-Branco; M.; Caldas; A. (2014);?Brain activity limb movement with manual facilitation ? an fMRI study.
- Castelhano; J.;?Duarte; I. C.; Wibral; M.; Rodriguez; E. and Castelo-Branco; M. (2014); facet of gamma oscillations: Separate visual and decision making circuits as revealed by simultaneous EEG/fMRI. Hum. Brain Mapp.. doi: 10.1002/hbm.22545
- Duarte?IC; Ferreira C; Marques J; Castelo-Branco M (2014) Deactivation/Activation Dichotomy in the Human Hippocampus as Revealed by a 3D Navigation Task.PLoS One 9:e86213
- Rebola J; Castelo-Branco M (2014)?Visual areas PPA and pSTS diverge from other modules during perceptual closure: functional dichotomies within category selective networks.
- Silva MF; d'Almeida O; Oliveiros B; Mateus C; Castelo-Branco M; (2014)?Development and aging visual hemifield asymmetries in contrast sensitivity. Journal of Vision; vol. 14 no. 12. doi: 10.1167/14.12.19
- Teixeira?M; Pires G; Raimundo M; Nascimento S; Almeida V; Castelo-Branco M (2014) trial identification of conscious percepts triggered by sensory events of variable saliency. PLoS One 9:e86201
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency