Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Secondary Data Analysis in Medical Research
Taiwan (FMS-Taiwan) - Taipei Medical University, Taipei
Biotechnologies and Informatics
Biostatistics Center, College of Management, Taipei Medical University
Jin-Hua Chen , Ph.D.
Type of Research Project
- Global Action Project (GAP)
What is the background of the project?
In recent decades, large amounts of medical data have become available in various healthcare organizations in Taiwan. Biostatisticians and epidemiologists used the large-scale data analysis to conduct observational research and to confirm theoretical propositions. In the project, students will first choose a topic either in medicine, pharmacy or epidemiology, and establish a relevant and specific research subject.
What is the aim of the project?
The student is the co-researcher during the exchange. According to the professional capacity of the student, he/she will involve in the appropriate section of the research project. In the beginning of the project, the student should review the related documents or collect information about the topic. Then he/she will discuss with statistician about the study design and analyzing strategy. Based on the analyzing results, he/she will organize and summarize the statistical findings using tables or figures and make a finalreport.
What techniques and methods are used?
According the subject, he/she will experience a complete research process collaborating with a statistician, including establishing study hypothesis and study design, summarizing statistical findings, and reporting and concluding the results.
What is the role of the student?
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
1. Ability to design an observational study using claim data or electronic medical record data: There are three affiliated hospitals in Taipei Medical University. Recently, the University has organized three hospitals’ electronic medical records in a data center for the use of academic research. The student could understand the strength and weakness of using historical medical record through recognizing the contents of basic claim data or electronic medical record data. 2. Principles and methodologies of biostatistics: Student could understand what study design or what data characteristic should use what kind of statistical methods or how to choose an appropriate analyzing method through discussing with his/her advisor and collaborating statistician. 3. Ability to explain, organize and summarize statistical findings: The student’s collaborating statistician would help him/her to do the statistical analysis and get the statistical results. The student should be able to explain the results and make an appropriate conclusion based on the statistical numbers. He/she could decide what should be present and organize the results into tables or figures.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a presentation
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
1. Introductory courses in biostatistics or statistics 2. Introductory courses in clinical research design or epidemiology. And please review literature of the student
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months)
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency