Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Effect of Vitamin D and antioxidants in vascular function.
Universidad Nacional de Tucuman
Biomedical Physiology Department of Faculty of Medicine. National University of Tucum
Dr. Claudio Joo Turoni; Dra. Mar
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
We study the effect of in vivo treatment with Vitamin D in rats with different models of hypertension, metabolic syndrome or kidney disease. Vitamin D is an agent studied not only in calcium metabolism, but also in renal protection. We study others effects of this agent in cardiovascular protection (vascular reactivity, endothelial function, oxidative state). The hypothesis is that, in these models of cardiovascular risk factors Vitamin D could be interact with several physiopathological ways. Evaluate the role of treatment with Vitamin D in the vascular function in hypertension and other cardiovascular risk factor. ? Vascular reactivity in aortic rings at 37
What is the aim of the project?
Evaluate the role of treatment with Vitamin D in the vascular function in hypertension and other cardiovascular risk factor.
What techniques and methods are used?
• Vascular reactivity in aortic rings at 37°C, gassed with 95% O2 -5% CO2 (pH 7.4) in an isolated organ chamber that was connected to a force transducer (Gould UC2, USA). Rings were stretched in isometric conditions, and contraction or relaxation was registered with a recorder system (Bipoac) • Measurement of oxidative stress in homogenates of aortic rings: dienos, TBARS, GSSG/GSH relation and others markers of oxidative stress. • Measurement of NO production by Griess reaction (Joo Turoni et al; Clinical and Experimental Hypertension, 29:1–18, 2007) and in real time by a sensitive NO electrode (Apollo 4000).
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
The role of the student is to performed several technical to measurement vascular function in the aortic vessels of the models.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare a scientific report
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
The student must have passed physiology
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Students in biomedical fields
- Internal Mammary Arterial Grafts Reactivity in Hypertensive Patients. Role of Stretching in Extra-endothelial Nitric Oxide. Joo Turoni Claudio; Peral de Bruno Maria; Coviello Alfredo; Mara
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency