Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Neurodegenerative diseases: Animal models
Thailand (IFMSA-Thailand) - Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok
Assoc Prof Dr Supin Chompoopong
Assoc Prof Dr Supin Chompoopong (Please address your recommendation letter to this tutor.)
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
Neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease (AD), Parkinson's disease (PD), and some other degenerative changes in the neuronal tissues after injury caused by cerebral ischemia and spinal cord injury are still very interested in Neuroscience research. The animal models have played critical roles in testing the clinical benefits of experimental therapies. Preclinical trials in animal models can be done in weeks or months. Protective and preventive therapies can be determined at the level of protein defect. Taken together can lead to new clinical trials in humans. This project aims to explore the benefits and limitations of Neurodegenerative diseases and animal models for Translational research.
What is the aim of the project?
The benefits and limitations of Neurodegenerative disease animal models for the Translational research
What techniques and methods are used?
Injury animal model (Surgical procedure and Sample collection) Behavioral animal tests Histopathological determination
What is the role of the student?
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Learn the technique Create short project Evaluate the result Conclude the project Present project in brief
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a presentation
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
The 2nd year medical student or above is qualified.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- Chompoopong; S. et al. Neuroprotective Effects of Germinated Brown Rice in Rotenone induced Parkinson's like Disease Rats.
- Padungraksart; F. et al. Improvement of Cognitive Impairment in Morris Water Maze by Sea Cucumber Extracts (Holothuria Scabra).
- Naowasiri; T. et al. Retinal Cell and White Matter Damages Related to Memory Deficits in Voice-Cued Fear Test attenuated by Sea Cucumber Extracts (Holothuria Scabra).
- Thong-asa; K. et al. Reversible short-term and delayed long-term cognitive impairment induced by chronic mild cerebral hypoperfusion in rats.
- Siriporn A. et al. Post-injury administration of 17beta-estradiol induces protection in the gray and white matter with associatied functional recovery after cervical spinal cord injury in male rats.
- Dunham KA; Characterization of a graded cervical hemicontusion apinal cord injury model in adult male rats.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency