Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
MONOCYTIC MYELOID DERIVED SUPPRESSOR CELLS (M-MDSC) IN CHRONIC MYELOID LEUKEMIA
Universita degli Studi di Catania
Division of Hematology, AziendaPoliclinico-OVE, University of Catania
Prof. Francesco Di Raimondo
dott. Cesarina Giallongo, dott. Daniele Tibullo, dott. Piera La Cava
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Recently, the prognostic role of Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cell accumulation has been documented for some hematological malignancies such as Hodgkin lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and acute leukemia patients, where they correlates with disease progression and persistence of minimal residual disease
What is the aim of the project?
The present study focused on defining the change of MDSC frequency in Chronic Myeloid Linfoma patients during therapy with imatinib (IM), nilotinib (NIL) or dasatinib(DAS)
What techniques and methods are used?
Techniques: Flow cytometry, cell cultures,Real-time RT-PCR for gene expression, ELISA
What is the role of the student?
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
- If the project is clinical
- the student will take active part in the clinical examination
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
- Students will follow the entire process of the experiments and will be able with time to conduct experiment by him/herself. In addition students could follow the ward and outpatients activity and could be able to integrate information coming from the lab with clinical features of the patients
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
No theoretical teaching provided
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
No special skill is required For further informations: Giallongo C, Parrinello N, Tibullo D, La Cava P, Romano A, Chiarenza A, et al. Myeloid derived suppressor cells (MDSCs) are increased and exert immunosuppressive activity together with polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNs) in chronic myeloid leukemia patients. PloS one. 2014;9(7):e101848. PubMed PMID: 25014230. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4094386.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency