Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Determination of the frequency of mammary gland neoplasms identification and the role of the genetic predisposition to breast cancer
Russian Federation (HCCM Russia) - Samara State Medical University, Samara
Samara Regional Clinical Oncology Center
Professor Segey V. Kozlov M.D. PhD Tutor
Associate professor Alexander A. Moryatov,M.D., PhD Student Nikita V. Blinov
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Every patient who is going to come through a breast augmentation surgery should be examined. Preoperative examination may reveal the existence of benign or malignant tumors, as well as a genetic predisposition to cancer. The presence of these factors can change the course of the operation.
What is the aim of the project?
- to analyze the frequency and nature of the neoplasms. - to identify the frequency of occurrence of genes that increase the risk of cancer developing.
What techniques and methods are used?
- Morphological methods: initial review of the hematoxylin and eosin stained slides of mammary gland sections. - Genetic method: detecting the presence of BRCA1/BRCA2 genes mutations. - Statistical methods: nonparametric method of Manna Whitney and Mediana using Statistica 6.0.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
The student will be allowed to assist in histological, cytological and genetic examination, work with the cultures and patterns of immunological cells in the laboratory, and compile statistical analysis and obtaining results.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a presentation - The student will prepare a scientific report
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Final test or examination in General Surgery, Oncology, Histology and Medical Genetics should be passed. Student should know the morphology of the breast.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months)
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency