Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Additional features of the immunohistochemical diagnosis of micrometastases in lymph nodes of patients with early breast cancer
Russian Federation (HCCM Russia) - Ural State Medical Academy, Ekaterinburg
Department of Oncomammology, Municipal Autonomous Institution Clinical Hospital
Prof. Sergey Demidov
Dr. Kirill Mashkovtsev, Dr. Denis Demidov
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Lymph node status in breast cancer is an important prognostic factor, and it's knowledge determines treatment. Detection of single metastatic cells in lymph nodes is regarded as a poor prognosis, it indicates dissemination of the process, that's why early detection of micrometastases will identify patients who need additional systemic therapy after successful surgical removal of the primary tumor.
What is the aim of the project?
The aim of the project is to improve diagnostic tools of micrometastases in lymph nodes in patients with early breast cancer.
What techniques and methods are used?
1. Immunohistochemistry (IHC) on serial sections of lymph nodes 2. Estimating the results of immunohistochemistry 3. Mathematical statistics
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
1. Participation in immunohistochemical analysis 2. Work with scientific sources, 3. Work with immunohistochemical results 4. Determination of the histological subtype of the tumor. 5. Statistical analysis of the results Working with the immunohistochemical results, - Evaluation the results of immunohistochemical, - Identifying the molecular subtypes of breast cancer. - Learning how to assess receptor status of breast cancer. - Learning to predict the course of the disease, according to the results of immunohistochemical analysis .
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
- seminar with discussion - lections
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a presentation
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Final test or exam in Oncology should be passed NB! Exchange period is 20th of June-20th of July
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency