Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
The effect of an oral anti-oxidant treatment in in vitro adipogenesis and mature adipocytes.
Spain (IFMSA-SPAIN)-University of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela
Endocrinology department and Health and Research Institute ( IDIS)
Prof. Felipe Casanueva Freijo
Felipe Casanueva Freijo, Marcos Couselo Carrera
English and/or Spanish.
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
Our group has a long research career leaded by Prof. Casanueva. It is formed by an endocrinologist and biologists, with the following main research interests: 1) the study of adipose tissue as an endocrine organ 2) the study of the adipogenic process 3) the effect of various molecules in mature adipocytes or during the adipogenesis process that may prove important for future therapeutic approches to obesity
What is the aim of the project?
Study adipose tissue as an endocrine organ , the adipogenic process and the effect of various molecules in mature adipocytes or during the adipogenesis process that may prove important for future therapeutic approches to obesity, 1. To help students to become familiar with laboratory techniques. 2. Get experience in handling and management of biological samples and in cell culture. 3. To access the effect of an anti-oxidant oral treatment in obesity in vitro, by evaluating its effect in differentiated adipocytes and also how it affects the adipogenesis process.
What techniques and methods are used?
- Cell culture - Oil red tintion - RNA extraction, RT PCR and quantitative PCR - Isolation, grown and identification of adipose derived stem cells (ADSC). In vitro differentiation of adipocytes and tretaments
What is the role of the student?
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Cell culture, Oil red tintion RNA extraction, RT PCR and quantitative PCR Isolation, grown and identification of adipose derived stem cells (ADSC). In vitro differentiation of adipocytes and tretaments. To participate in regular laboratory work. The student will be involved in the rutine of daily activity participating in different tasks, envolving the whole process, since plating the cells, mantaining and testing them until the final tintion or the quantative PCR.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a scientific report
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Any laboratory experience will be well appreciated.
For the use of students considering participating in the project, further information can be found from the following articles
A ROCA-RIVADA, O AL-MASSADI, C CASTELAO, LL SENIN, J ALONSO, LM SEOANE, T GARCIA-CABALLERO, FF CASANUEVA, M PARDO
Muscle tissue as an endocrine organ: Comparative secretome profiling of slow-oxidative and fast-glycolytic rat muscle explants and its variation with exercise.
Journal of Proteomics, 75: 5414-25. 2012
AB CRUJEIRAS, FF CASANUEVA
Decreased ghrelin levels: the cause of obesity and weight regain?
Expert Review of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 7: 127-129.2012
B CRUJEIRAS, E GOYENECHEA, I ABETE, M LAGE, MC CARREIRA, JA MARTINEZ, FF CASANUEVA
Weight regain after a diet-induced loss is predicted by higher baseline leptin and lower ghrelin plasma levels.
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 95: 5037-5044. 2010
AB CRUJEIRAS, M PARDO, A ROCA-RIVADA, S NAVAS CARRETERO, MA ZUL
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- A ROCA-RIVADA; O AL-MASSADI; C CASTELAO; LL SENIN; J ALONSO; LM SEOANE; T GARCIA-CABALLERO; FF CASANUEVA; M PARDO Muscle tissue as an endocrine organ: Comparative secretome profiling of slow-oxidative and fast-glycolytic rat muscle explants and its variation with exercise. Journal of Proteomics; 75: 5414-25. 2012
- AB CRUJEIRAS; FF CASANUEVA Decreased ghrelin levels: the cause of obesity and weight regain? Expert Review of Endocrinology and Metabolism; 7: 127-129.2012
- AB CRUJEIRAS; E GOYENECHEA; I ABETE; M LAGE; MC CARREIRA; JA MARTINEZ; FF CASANUEVA Weight regain after a diet-induced loss is predicted by higher baseline leptin and lower ghrelin plasma levels. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism; 95: 5037-5044. 2010
- AB CRUJEIRAS; M PARDO; A ROCA-RIVADA; S NAVAS CARRETERO; MA ZULET; JA MARTINEZ; FF CASANUEVA Longitudinal variation of circulating irisin after an energy restriction-induced weight loss and following weight regain in obese men and women. American Journal of Human Biology: The Official Journal of the Human Biology Council. 26 - 2; pp. 198 - 405. ISSN 1520-6300. 2014
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency