Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Hospital Register of Atrial Fibrillation
Russian Federation (HCCM Russia) - Ryazan State Medical Academy, Ryazan
the Department of Internal Medicine
Sergei S. Yakushin, PhD, Professor
Sergei S. Yakushin, PhD, Professor, email@example.com
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project without Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Characteristics of diagnostics and therapy of atrial fibrillation are studied in most patients but little research was carried out during treatment of such patients in the in-patient department. This research will study the treatment of the disease and the outcome of the treatment (transitory ischaemic attack, strokes, acute myocardial infarction, etc.). Besides, we’ll study anti-inflammatory markers and blood coagulation system to detect new risk factors for occurrence of unfavourable outcomes and evaluate the influence of the treatment on coagulation and inflammation.
What is the aim of the project?
The aim is to examine the quality of medical aid to patients suffered from atrial fibrillation in the in-patient department.
What techniques and methods are used?
The research consists of retrospective and prospective part, the latter includes: 6-minute walk test, a study of endothelial function, arterial blood pressure, heart rate, electrocardiogram, EchoCG, evaluation of intima-media complex
What is the role of the student?
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
The student is expected: • to select patients for prospective part of the project; • to do a functional test; • to take electrocardiogram; • to fill in database, its partial analysis.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
The students will be provided seminars on the topics: 1. Endothelial function and atherosclerosis; 2. Registers in cardiovascular practice: world experience; 3. Epidemiology of atrial fibrillation: methods, results and basic statistics.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a scientific report - The student’s name will be mentioned in a future publication
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
The student should have basic knowledge of:
1. cardiology: electrocardiogram, atrial fibrillation, methods of its diagnostics and treatment, functional tests in cardiology
2. coagulology (from the course of biological chemistry)
The student should know:
3. Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer,
4. statistics, should have experience in working with data
For the use of students considering participating in the project, further information can be found from the following articles:
1. Atrial Fibrillation (Management of) 2010 and Focused Update (2012). ESC Clinical Practice Guidelines. European Heart Journal (2012) 33, 2719?2747.
2. Filippov EV Jakushin SS. Sudden cardiac death: risk stratification problem and drug of choice. Rationalnaya Farmakoterapiya v Kardiologii . 2011.Vol.7, ? 2, 212-218.
3. Connolly S.J., Eikelboom J., Joyner C, Yakushin S. et al. Apixaban in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2011.364:806-817.
4. Insufficient detectab
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months)
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency