Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine
Thailand (IFMSA-Thailand) - Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok
Division of Pharmacogenetics and Personalized Medicine, Department of Pathology
Assoc. Prof. Sansanee Wongwaisayawan, M.D., Certificate of Proficiency in Anatomical Patho
Assist. Prof. CHONLAPHAT SUKASEM, B.Pharm., Ph.D
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
The majority of our research center around efforts in autism, HIV and invasive fungal infection with a primary focus on proteins that are drug metabolism and the impact of their genetic polymorphisms on drug level and response.
What is the aim of the project?
Our efforts relate specifically the integration of pharmacogenomics strategies to personalize therapeutic interventions for patients, clinically.
What techniques and methods are used?
1. The allele-specific Taqman® MGB probe assay with real-time PCR Viia™ 7 system 2. The tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS) techniques coupled with high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
In our division, we have the Ph.D. candidates in Pharmacogenomics who have conducting their dissertations in clinical research focusing on pharmacogenomics and personalized medicine. The exchange student will be the research assistant for the dissertations. Moreover, the pharmacogenetic tests have been successfully implemented in clinical practice at our lab (Laboratory for Pharmacogenomics). The exchange student can be the technical assistant on the routine works.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Student needs knowledge of Pharmacology.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Students in biomedical fields
- Pharmacogenomics of drug-induced hypersensitivity reactions: Challenges
- Opportunities and Clinical Implementation. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 2014 Jun;32(2):111-23.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency