Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Study of role of androgens role in the regulation of the umbilical arterial tonus and in preeclampsia
Portugal ( PorMSIC) - University Beira Interior, Covilha
Health Sciences Research Centre, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Beira Interior
Prof. Ignacio Verde, PhD
Ignacio Verde PhD, Elisa Cairra&#771;o PhD
English (required), Portuguese (accepted)
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
Pregnancy hypertension and preeclampsia complicates 5-8% of all pregnancies and increase both maternal and neonatal morbidity. Pathophysiology of preeclampsia was not elucidated yet, but several factors, including the androgens, were implicated in its development.
What is the aim of the project?
The main objective of this project is to analyze the effects of androgens in the regulation of normal and preeclamptic HUA vascular contractility.
What techniques and methods are used?
The first step of this project is to analyse the expression patterns of normal and preeclamptic arteries, and also the influence of the incubation of normal arteries with androgens: We will perform Real Time-PCR experiments about genes coding for proteins involved in the regulation of contractile function.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
To assist to the development of the project developed by a researcher and perform some technical procedures.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a poster - The student will prepare a presentation
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
No special skills are needed.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- Saldanha PA; Cairrao E; Maia CJ; Verde I: Long- and short-term effects of androgens in human umbilical artery smooth muscle. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2013;40:181-189.
- Cairrao E; Alvarez E; Carvas JM; Santos-Silva AJ; Verde I: Non-genomic vasorelaxant effects of 17beta-estradiol and progesterone in rat aorta are mediated by l-type ca2+ current inhibition. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2012;33:615-624
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency