Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Study of primary dyslipidemias and atherosclerosis
Spain (IFMSA-SPAIN)-University of Zaragoza, Zaragoza
Laboratorio de Investigacion Molecular. Miguel Servet University Hospital
Ana Cenarro Lagunas
Ana Cenarro, Isabel de Castro
English or Spanish
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
In our group, the molecular basis of primary dyslipidemias is investigated. We deepen in the causes that originate the increased concentrations of cholesterol and triglycerides in plasma, and its consequence, atherosclerosis development, the main cause of cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular diseases are the first cause of death in industrialized countries. The study of the molecular basis of dyslipidemias will help in the understanding the causes of atherosclerosis, and therefore, the management of hyperlipidemic patient could be improved.
What is the aim of the project?
Investigate the molecular causes of different hyperlipidemias, to improve the diagnosis and management of individual patients.
What techniques and methods are used?
- DNA extraction from peripheral blood - Specific exon amplification by PCR method - Electrophoresis in agarose gel - Sequencing reactions - Chromatograms interpretation - Determination of sterols non-cholesterol by HPLC/MS/MS
What is the role of the student?
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Knowledge about molecular biology and dyslipidemias. General laboratory skills of our techniques and methods.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
We will provide the student the basic bibliography to introduce him in the field. The students will also be able to participate in our courses and seminars.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
The student must show interest on the project and be committed to the timetable. There are no legal limitations. They need to have studied biochemistry and physiology.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Liability insurance needed
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- Solanas-Barca M; de Castro-Oros I; Mateo-Gallego R; Cofan M; Plana N; Puzo J; Burillo E; Martin-Fuentes P; Ros E; Masana L; Pocovi M; Civeira F; Cenarro A. Apolipoprotein E gene mutations in subjects with mixed hyperlipidemia and a clinical diagnosis of familial combined hyperlipidemia. Atherosclerosis. 2012 Jun;222(2):449-55.
- Tejedor MT; Cenarro A; Tejedor D; Stef M; Palacios L; de Castro I; Garcia-Otin AL;Monteagudo LV; Civeira F; Pocovi M. New contributions to the study of common double mutants in the human LDL receptor gene. Naturwissenschaften. 2011 Nov;98(11):943-9.
- Jarauta E; Mateo-Gallego R; Gilabert R; Plana N; Junyent M; de Groot E; Cenarro A;Masana L; Ros E; Civeira F. Carotid aterosclerosis and lipoprotein particle subclases in familial hypercholesterolaemia and familial combined hyperlipidaemia. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2012 Jul;22(7):591-7.
- Cenarro A; Garcia-Otin AL; Tejedor MT; Solanas M; Jarauta E; Junquera C; Ros E; Mozas P; Puzo J; Pocovi M; Civeira F. A presumptive new locus for autosomal dominant hypercholesterolemia mapping to 8q24.22. Clin Genet. 2011 May;79(5):475-81.
- Tejedor MT; Cenarro A; Tejedor D; Stef M; Mateo-Gallego R; de Castro I; Garcia-Otin AL; Monteagudo LV; Civeira F; Pocovi M. Haplotype analyses; mechanism and evolution of common double mutants in the human LDL receptor gene. Mol Genet Genomics. 2010 Jun;283(6):565-74.
- Mateo-Gallego R; Calmarza P; Jarauta E; Burillo E; Cenarro A; Civeira F. Serum ferritin is a major determinant of lipid phenotype in familial combined hyperlipidemia and familial hypertrigliceridemia. Metabolism. 2010 Feb;59(2):154-8
- Solanas-Barca M; Mateo-Gallego R; Calmarza P; Jarauta E; Bea AM; Cenarro A; Civeira F. Mutations in HFE causing hemochromatosis are associated with primary hypertriglyceridemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Nov;94(11):4391-7.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency