Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Clinical Immunology: diagnosis of immune disorders and biological therapies
Spain (IFMSA-SPAIN)-University of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela
Clinical University Hospital and Cardiology Research Group of the IDICHUS
Dr. Jose Ramon Gonzalez Juanatey
Dr. Juan E. Vinuela Roldan
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Immunology is a rapidly evolving field where the interchange of ideas and information among physicians and other investigators who are concerned with immunological/inflammatory diseases are key to lead to new therapies. The promotion of the application and dissemination of recent advances in biomedical science for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases related to immunity and inflammation can only be effective if we set a common base language and well establish concepts' understanding. We want to contribute to provide a broad point of view based on solid knowledge during the early stages of the formation of the new professionals.
What is the aim of the project?
Familiarize students in techniques related with the diagnosis of immune disorders (autoimmunity, transplantation an immunodeficiencies) and introducing them in the use of new biological therapies dendritic cell therapies and humanized monoclonal antibodies.
What techniques and methods are used?
Immunochemistry, diagnosis of autoimmune disorders, tissue typing for organ transplantation and cellular immunology tests , flow cytometry.
What is the role of the student?
- The tasks will be done under supervision
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Participate in regular research task at the laboratory and be in contact with Clinical Immunology reality. The student will be involved in the routine of daily activity participating in different tasks depending on his/ her skills and attitude. Both, literature review and practical involvement of laboratory techniques will be performed by the student. Basic understanding and knowledge about immunochemistry, diagnosis of autoimmune disorders and tissue typing techniques and cellular immunology. Improved understanding of the basis of new biological therapies (humanized monoclonal antibodies). The practical learning will depend on the student and his/ her previous knowledges and his/her attitude to adquire new ones.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Yes, there will be seminars.
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- [The role of EUS in relation to other imaging modalities in the differential diagnosis between mass forming chronic pancreatitis; autoimmune pancreatitis and ductal pancreatic adenocarcinoma] PMID22738702
- [Induction of immune responses by purified outer membrane protein complexes from Neisseria meningitidis] PMID21911024
- [Effect of phosphodiesterase 7 (PDE7) inhibitors in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis mice. Discovery of a new chemically diverse family of compounds]PMID22385507
- [Identification in silico and experimental validation of novel phosphodiesterase 7 inhibitors with efficacy in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis mice] PMID23077723
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency