Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Functional and phenotypic characterization of T lymphocytes in patients with cancer/ infl. Conditions.
Spain (IFMSA-SPAIN)-University Complutense of Madrid, Madrid
Inmunology Department, Faculty of Medicine
Prof. J.R. Regueiro
Prof. J.M. Martin Villa
Englis, Spanish, Italian, French
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
T-cell disfunctions may underlie in tumour growth and development (hampering the response of immunocompetent cells to tumour agents) or in inflammatory conditions, wherein cells may proliferate unhindered.
What is the aim of the project?
Identify phenotypic markers able to single out cells responsible for the pathological condition studied, and characterize functional alterations that may explain such condition.
What techniques and methods are used?
Flow citometry, western blot, protein and DNA extraction, cell culture, PCR.
What is the role of the student?
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
- Once acquainted with lab techniques - he would perform his/ her own experiments - under the supervision of lab members. Practical skills and knowledge that the student will learn are Mainly, phenotypic (cytometry) of functional cytokine production, proliferative response of T linfocytes from patients.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Yes, readings will be provided. Weekly seminars held throughout the year (not on holidays/summer vacation).
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Basic knowledge on biology/ cell biology/ medicine.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- Valeri AP et al. Inmunal cell Biol 2008 86:289-9
- Lopez Santalla et al M al Inmunal 2007 44:2400-5
- Scand J Gosticenteral 2006:41(11): 1361-3 Aguilera- Marililla et al.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency