Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Implication of innate immunity in stroke inflammatory response.
Spain (IFMSA-SPAIN)-University Complutense of Madrid, Madrid
Pharmacology department. School of Medicine. Universidad Complutense.
english and/or Portuguese
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
In experimental models of stroke, using mice and rats, we study different neuroprotective drugs to evaluate their effect on inflammatory response (cytokines, iNOS, COX2…) and neurorepair processes.
What is the aim of the project?
Know the experimental models of stroke and to explore different techniques for evaluating protective effects of drugs.
What techniques and methods are used?
- Experimental models of stroke (mice, rats and cell culture) - Molecular biology techniques - Immunohistochemical techniques - Use of microscopes
What is the role of the student?
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
- To learn the different techniques with our fellows or doctors. Techniques such as in vivo models of stroke using mice or rats (middle cerebral artery occlusion by ligature or electrocoagulation); cell culture of neurons, astrocytes, etc…. western blot, ELISA kits.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Reviews papers regarding stroke
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
To be a student of third year or later year of Medicine studies.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months)
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency