Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Pathology and Pathogenesis of Leishmaniasis and other Tropical Diseases
Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo (FMUSP)
Prof. Marcia Dalastra Laurentin
Prof. Luiz Felipe Domingues Passero, Prof. Claudia Gomes, Prof. V&#226;nia da Matta.
English (Required), Portuguese, Spanish
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
The leishmaniasis presents it self clinically in different forms depending on the parasite's specie and the immune response of the individual. The involvement goes from the cutaneous form to ones represented by visceral leishmaniasis and leishmaniasis allergic diffuse.
What is the aim of the project?
Evaluate aspects of all the immunopathology from the cutaneous forms with emphasis in the regulatory immune response.
What techniques and methods are used?
Techniques of immunohistochemistry for cellular determinants, ELISA for cytokines and molecular techniques to determinate the amount of parasite and gene expression of the immune response.
What is the role of the student?
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Commitment with the project from the theoretical part _ understanding the question that is made in the study – to participation in the technical development of the project. And also will be an clinical practice about tropical diseases at the hospital.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Books Papers Weekly seminars
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a scientific report - The student’s name will be mentioned in a future publication
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Knowledge in parasitology, immunology and pathology is desirable for better use.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system - Students in biomedical fields
- Expression of Foxp3; TGF-β and IL-10 in American cutaneous leishmaniasis lesions.
- Leishmania (V.) braziliensis and L. (L.) amazonensis promote differential expression of dendritic cells and cellular immune response in murine model.
- Human cutaneous leishmaniasis: interferon-dependent expression of double-stranded RNA-dependent protein kinase (PKR) via TLR2.
- Immunopathogenic competences of Leishmania (V.) braziliensis and L. (L.) amazonensis in American cutaneous leishmaniasis.
- A prospective study on the dynamics of the clinical and immunological evolution of human Leishmania (L.) infantum chagasi infection in the Brazilian Amazon region.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency