Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Mitochondria and ER in Diabetogenesis
Korea (KMSA) - Yonsei Wonju university, Gangwon province
Department of Physiology, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine
English or Korean
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
Mitochondria have been known to play crucial roles in nutrient-induced insulin secretion of pancreatic beta cells and insulin sensitivities for metabolism at insulin-target organs. Disturbing mitochondrial function in beta cells promotes the development of type 2 diabetes. Mutations in mitochondrial DNA cause maternally inherited diabetes. Accumulation of misfolded protein in Endoplasmic reticulum (ER) also contributes to pancreatic beta cell loss and insulin resistance. High glucose and fatty acid are known to induce this type of ER stress consequently resulting in diabetogenesis.
What is the aim of the project?
Major aim of my project is to identify the role of intracellular organelles (mitochondria and ER) on physiology and pathophysiology of metabolic diseases. This research can allow us to find the therapeutic target for prevention and treatment of diabetes and its serious complications.
What techniques and methods are used?
Confocal imaging and live cell imaging technique, electrophysiology, and basic molecular biology technique.
What is the role of the student?
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
- The student will mainly observe
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Students will receive small project for their own and try to make a result. Good results will be published in scientific journal or presented at academic meetings.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
- Lectures about molecular endocrinology and organellar physiology - Seminar about the basic theoretical concept of experimental techniques - Journal club
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
No specific experimental skill is required. But, student should have an ability to read scientific papers and acquire the basic concept from the paper.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Graduated students (less than 6 months) - Students in biomedical fields
- Choi S; Quan X; Bang S; Yoo H; Kim J; Park J; Park KS*; Chung J. Mitochondrial calcium uniporter in Drosophila transfers calcium between the endoplasmic reticulum and mitochondria in oxidative stress-induced cell death. J Biol Chem. 2017;292(35):14473-14485
- Ly LD; Xu S; Choi SK; Ha CM; Thoudam T; Cha SK; Wiederkehr A; Wollheim CB; Lee IK; Park KS*. Oxidative stress and Ca2+ dysregulation by palmitate in type 2 diabetes. Exp Mol Med. 49(2):e291; 2017
- Nguyen TT; Quan X; Xu S; Das R; Cha SK; Kong ID; Shong M; Wollheim CB; Park KS*. Intracellular alkalinization by phosphate uptake via type III sodium-phosphate cotransporter participates in high phosphate- induced mitochondrial oxidative stress and defective insulin secretion. FASEB J. 30(12): 3979-3988; 2016
- Xu S; Nam SM; Kim JH; Das R; Choi SK; Nguyen TT; Quan X; Choi SJ; Chung CH; Lee EY; Lee IK; Wiederkehr A; Wollheim CB; Cha SK; Park KS*. Palmitate induces ER calcium depletion and apoptosis in mouse podocytes subsequent to mitochondrial oxidative stress. Cell Death Dis. 6:e1976; 2015
- Xu S; Kim JH; Hwang KH; Das R; Quan X; Nguyen TT; Kim SJ; Cha SK; Park KS*. Autocrine insulin increases plasma membrane KATP channel via PI3K-VAMP2 pathway in MIN6 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 468(4): 752-7; 2015
- Das R; Xu S; Nguyen TT; Quan X; Choi SK; Lee EY; Cha SK; Park KS*. TGF-β1-induced apoptosis via Nox4 is mediated by ERK1/2-mTOR activation in podocytes. J Biol Chem. 290(52): 30830-842; 2015
- Nguyen TT; Quan X; Hwang KH; Xu S; Das R; Choi SK; Wiederkehr A; Wollheim CB; Cha SK; Park KS*. Mitochondrial oxidative stress mediates high phosphate-induced secretory defects and apoptosis in insulin-secreting cells. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 308(11):E933-41; 2015
- Quan X; Nguyen TT; Choi SK; Xu S; Das R; Cha SK; Kim N; Han J; Wiederkehr A; Wollheim CB; Park KS*. Essential role of mitochondrial Ca2+ uniporter in the generation of mitochondrial pH gradient and metabolism-secretion coupling in rat insulinoma cells. J Biol Chem 290(7):4086-96; 2015
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency