Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Study the role of inflammation and oxidative stress in relation to liver failure/disease
Université de Montréal
Department of Medicine
Dr. Roger Butterworth
English, French highly appreciated
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
What is the aim of the project?
Student will acquire good laboratory practice and techniques; learn how to design a project; analyse data; present results and write a communication
What techniques and methods are used?
Immunoblotting, immunohistochemistry, enzymatic assays, in vivo preparations, cell culture, RNA/protein extraction
What is the role of the student?
- The tasks of the student will be performed on his/her own
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
To complete the project using immunoblotting, immunohistochemistry, enzymatic assays, in vivo preparations, cell culture, RNA/protein extraction to study the role of inflammation and oxidative stress in relation to liver failure/disease and potentially write an abstract or article
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- The student will prepare a scientific report - The student will prepare an abstract - The student’s name will be mentioned in a future publication - No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Student must be competent, motivated, willing to learn, patient, able to discuss and solve problems and be able to work well with others.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
- Hazell and Butterworth; Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1999 Nov;222(2):99-112. Review
- Felipo and Butterworth: Prog Neurobiol. 2002 Jul;67(4):259-79. Review
- Rose and Felipo: Metab Brain Dis. 2005 Dec;20(4):275-83
- Rose et al.; Hepatology. 2007 Dec;46(6):1883-92.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency