Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Advanced image guidance for abdominal aortic aneurysm endovascular repair (EVAR)
Université de Montréal
Dpt of Radiology, CHUM-Notre-Dame, 1560 Sherbrooke East,H2L4M1,Montreal, Canada
Pierre Bourgouin, MD
Gilles Soulez, MD, MSc
English (absolutely required), French (if possible)
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
Using a flat panel detector combined with an angiographic c-arm, it is possible to generate CT-like images (Dyna-CT) during high speed rotational acquisition. The goal of this project is to evaluate the feasibility and efficacy of using Dyna-CT during peripheral angioplasty and stenting procedures, and to evaluate whether this technique can provide the physician with new information as compared to digital substraction angiography (DSA) acquisitions. Since intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) has been shown to be superior to angiography for the detection of technical success or failure subsequent to angioplasty or stenting procedure, IVUS will be our gold standard examination.
1. Diagnostic Dyna-CT images can be obtained during angioplasty and stenting of femoro-popliteal artery
2. Good correlation can be obtained between Dyna-CT and intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) acquisitions during angioplasty and stenting procedures
3. Dyna-CT images can influence therapeutic decision during angioplasty and stenting procedures.
What is the aim of the project?
What techniques and methods are used?
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Observation, imaging interpretation, other tasks at the professor's discretion depending on student's exchange period
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
At the professor's discretion depending on student's exchange period
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Knowledge and interest in vascular imaging
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency