Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Effect of aging and degenerative diseases of the central nervous system on the extracellular space diffusion parameters and extracellular matrix
Czech Republic (IFMSA CZ) - Charles University, 2nd Medical Faculty, Prague
Department of Neuroscience, Charles University, 2nd Medical Faculty
Assoc. Prof. Lydia Vargova, MD., Ph.D.
Michal Cicanic, MD.
English, Czech, Slovak
Type of Research Project
- Basic science
What is the background of the project?
Students will study the effect aging and degenerative diseases. Project will lead to better understanding of pathogenic mechanisms with possible impact on Students will study the effect aging and degenerative diseases (like Alzheimer's, Huntington’s) on tissue properties, extracellular space diffusion parameters and quantitative and qualitative changes of extracellular matrix. Students will study changes in ECS volume fraction and the decrease in the apparent diffusion coefficients (ADC) of neuroactive substances diffusing in the ECS as well as the ADC of water.
What is the aim of the project?
Project will lead to better understanding of pathogenic mechanisms with possible impact on diagnosis, evaluation of treatment and development of new drugs for causal treatment.tissue properties, extracellular space diffusion parameters and quantitative and qualitative changes of extracellular matrix.
What techniques and methods are used?
ion-selective microelectrodes, real-time iontophoretic method, diffusion-weighted MRI, immunohistochemistry, image analysis
What is the role of the student?
- The student will mainly observe
- The student will observe the practical experiments but will be highly involved in the analysis of the results
- If the project includes “lab work”
- the student will take active part in the practical aspect of the project
- The tasks will be done under supervision
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Role of the student is working under the supervision of the researcher on the project, learn the techniques and methods used in the lab and data interpretation
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
- A theoretical introduction to the project and a manuscript with additional infromation will be provided. - Weakly internal seminars focused on the topic theory and interpretation of experimental results. - Final presentation of the results by SCORE student. experimental results Final presentation of the results by SCORE student, internal Seminar
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
- No specific outcome is expected
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
Basic neurophysiology knowledge.
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
If the student does not have a certificate for animal handling, they will not be allowed to work with laboratory animals.
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- Syková E; Nicholson C. (2008); Diffusion in brain extracellular space; Physiol Rev. 2008 Oct;88(4):1277-340. doi: 10.1152/physrev.00027.2007. Review.
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency