Who we are
Board of Recommendation
How to Become a Member
Members’ Activities Calendar
What we do
Policy and Advocacy
Exchange the world
Introduction to IFMSA Exchanges
List of Participating Countries
Research Projects Database
Medical Students International
You are here:
Diagnostic and Treatment of High Risk Neuroblastoma
Czech Republic (IFMSA CZ) - Charles University, 2nd Medical Faculty, Prague
Department of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, 2nd Faculty of Medicine
Prof. Jan Stary , MD., DrSc.
Josef Malis, MD., Prof. Tomas Eckschlager, MD., PhD.
Type of Research Project
- Clinical Project with Laboratory work
What is the background of the project?
The clinical course of neuroblastoma is variable and depends on age at diagnosis, staging, histology, and specific genetic abnormalities. Clinical and biologic features of this disease have been used to develop risk-based therapy.
What is the aim of the project?
The aim of the project is to analyse the factors particularly genetic abnormalities that eneble to choose apropriace therapy.
What techniques and methods are used?
molecular cytogenetic methods- FISH, MLPA, CGH array, SNP array.
What is the role of the student?
What are the tasks expected to be accomplished by the student?
Role of the student is working under the supervision of the researcher on the project.
Will there be any theoretical teaching provided (preliminary readings, lectures, courses, seminars etc)
Weekly internal seminars and hands on-courses
What is expected from the student at the end of the research exchange? What will be the general outcome of the student?
What skills are required of the student? Is there any special knowledge or a certain level of studies needed?
4 years of medical school completed No special skills required, just interest in the laboratory work. No legal limitations, however, work with potentially hazardous substances can be required. For education process will be necessary special clothes: - White medical shoes - White pants - White coat
Are there any legal limitations in the student’s involvement
Type of students accepted
This project accepts: - Medical students - Pre-Medical students from the American-British system
- Prochazka P; Hrabeta J; Vicha A; Cipro S; Stejskalova E; Musil Z; Vodicka P; Eckschlager T. Changes in MYCN expression in human neuroblastoma cell lines following cisplatin treatment may not be related to MYCN copy numbers. Oncol Rep.2013;29(6):2415-21.
- Stiborová M; Poljaková J; Eckschlager T; Kizek R; Frei E. DNA and histone deacetylases as targets for neuroblastoma treatment. Interdiscip Toxicol. 2010;3(2):47-52
- Eckschlager T; Pilát D; Kodet R; Dahbiová R; Stanková J; Jasinská J; Hrusák O.DNA ploidy in neuroblastoma. Neoplasma. 1996;43(1):23-6
- Maris JM; Hogarty MD; Bagatell R; Cohn SL. Neuroblastoma. Lancet. 2007; 369 (9579):2106-20
- Brisse HJ; McCarville MB; Granata C; Krug KB; Wootton-Gorges SL; Kanegawa K; Giammarile F; Schmidt M; Shulkin BL; Matthay KK; Lewington VJ; Sarnacki S; Hero B; Kaneko M; London WB; Pearson AD; Cohn SL; Monclair T; International Neuroblastoma Risk Group Project. Guidelines for imaging and staging of neuroblastic tumors: consensus report from the International Neuroblastoma Risk Group Project. Radiology. 2011;261(1): 243-57.
- Cohn SL; Pearson AD; London WB; Monclair T; Ambros PF; Brodeur GM; Faldum A; Hero B; Iehara T; Machin D; Mosseri V; Simon T; Garaventa A; Castel V; Matthay KK; INRG Task Force. The International Neuroblastoma Risk Group (INRG) classification system: an INRG Task Force report. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(2):289-97
- Monclair T; Brodeur GM; Ambros PF; Brisse HJ; Cecchetto G; Holmes K; Kaneko M; London WB; Matthay KK; Nuchtern JG; von Schweinitz D; Simon T; Cohn SL; Pearson AD; INRG Task Force. The International Neuroblastoma Risk Group (INRG) staging system: an INRG Task Force report. J Clin Oncol.
- Matthay KK; George RE; Yu AL. Promising therapeutic targets in neuroblastoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18(10):2740-53.
- Mueller S; Matthay KK. Neuroblastoma: biology and staging. Curr Oncol Rep.2009;11(6): 431-8.
- Gustafson WC; Matthay KK. Progress towards personalized therapeutics: biologic- and risk-directed therapy for neuroblastoma. Expert Rev Neurother. 2011;11(10):1411-23
© 2015 - IFMSA.org - Developed by web agency