The deadline for the AF is 3 months before the beginning of the desired exchange period. As an exception, all applications for July, August and September must be submitted by the IFMSA March Meeting.
Applications that turn out incomplete (e.g. dates not covering a full calendar month, the card of confirmation missing standard documents, all documents not meeting the standards that are set in the rules below) will be rejected. The documents required in card of documents must be uploaded when submitting the AF.
We accept only medical students, no premedical or graduated students. Exchanges are for calendar months only.
The student is required to choose 3 different projects in at least 2 different cities. Please keep in mind that summer months are the busiest and we recommend applying early. Also note that not everyone can be placed in Helsinki and some projects are more popular than others.
If none of the projects applied is available, FiMSIC will ask the student for more preferences. The professors need to accept the student before other arrangements can be made which means that additional motivation letters might be required.
All standard documents must be uploaded with the AF and be in English:
1. Passport size photo.
2. Official study record in English (Academic transcript). Courses taken must be stated, i.e. it's not enough to announce the number of years studied. We prefer one translated by the university, but if not possible add the official study record with the unofficial translation.
3. Motivation letter for each project that must meet certain criteria:
- addressed to the professor / head of the research group
- introducing yourself formally
- your medical education (how many years studied and which courses completed)
- your special interest and experience to the field of research and associated fields, any skills you have related to the study
- what you would like to learn and achieve during your exchange
Note that sending the same motivation letter with only professors name changed will be seen as a lack of interest and might affect your placement in the desired project.
4. Recommendation letter from professor or dean.
5. Curriculum Vitae
6. English certificate endorsed by Educational testing service or English professor. The student's English skills should meet at least the standard of CEFRL level B2 (upper intermediate) or equivalent, and this must be proved by
7. SCORE Terms and Conditions: All incomings have to sign the SCORE Terms and Conditions and upload it to the Rules Form section of the Card of Documents
8. Regulations for FiMSIC exchange programs: All incoming students to Finland must accept the Regulations for FiMSIC Exchange Programs. The students are required to sign this form and upload it into the Card of Documents section named 'FiMSIC Regulations'. The form can be found in the “necessary documents” folder below.
9. Vaccination card
All students must send a vaccination card as proof of immunisation, according to the section “Immunization requirements”. The vaccination card must be official (verified by a medical professional, e.g. stamped) and in English. Different LCs might also request other vaccinations and/or health certificates depending on the hospital and/or the clinic. The student will be informed of these by the LC. Vaccination Card doesn't have to be sent with the AF, but it is mandatory, and must be sent before the start of the exchange.
10. Valid health insurance for the exchange period. This can also be showed upon arrival.
11. MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) negativity certificate which is needed upon arrival. The MRSA test must not be made more than one month before the exchange period. The test can be done also in Finland, but it will delay the start of the exchange by one week or more and we do not recommend this. The expenses of the test will be charged from the student.
Link to the NECESSARY DOCUMENTS folder HERE: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WqheKizxdRiEJUBj0p8C7LH8Y2gzfFYq?usp=sharing !