Deadline for application: before March Meeting 2020. AFs sent after the MM might not be accepted, due to capacity limits and tutor acknowledgment period.
Additional information about the AF
- Please use your personal mail address as first mail address in your AF, instead of your university mail address!
- In the comment section of your AF, please mention the following
- Period availability (i.e. only Leuven period, only general period or both)
- Project type preference (in case your first three choices are not available anymore)
- Religious requirements e.g. wearing a hijab (so we can ensure you will be placed in a hospital/research centre where it is allowed to wear them :) )
- Other comments, special requests, ...
Additional information about the required documents:
We DO NOT follow the principle 'first come first serve'.
- All documents must be in English AND in .pdf or .jpeg format.
- AFs and CoDs with e.g. .docx files, will be sent back without explanation.
- You can translate the documents manually, i.e. yourself (you don't need to request a certified English translation).
- Standard documents
- Motivation letters
- Please write why you applied for the PROJECT (not for the city or country).
- If you write three motivation letters with exactly the same contents, we will view this as lack of motivation.
- TBC screening (= OTHER 1)
- You will need proof of a negative Mantoux test (taken < one year ago) OR a normal RX Thorax (taken < one year ago) → mandatory screening for TBC
- Vaccination card
- Proof of all received vaccinations
- BeMSA incoming contract (= OTHER 2)
- The contract contains some basic rules specific for Belgium and has to be signed by the student. Please ask your LORE or NORE for this document (it can be found in the NORE folder).
- NOTE: This document is NOT the same as the Rules Form NOREs!!!! We do not need the Rules Form uploaded here, we only need the BeMSA incoming contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Special documents
- FELASA certificate (= OTHER 3)
- Handling animals is only allowed when you have the FELASA certificate, stating that you have the knowledge and skills to work in a responsible manner with laboratory animals. If handling animals is mentioned in your project than you need to send this certificate in the AF or you won't be allowed to handle animals.
- HBsAb (only for projects in Antwerp)
- You will need proof that your titer HBsAb (hepatitis B surface antibodies) is higher than 10 IU/L. The blood sample needs to be taken at least 1 month after your last vaccination.
- This document only needs to be uploaded in your CoD after confirmation that you will be placed in Antwerp.
- Upon arrival documents
- A copy of your health and travel insurance. (= OTHER 4)
- A copy of the BeMSA incoming contract.
- A copy of your passport.
Instead, we grade each incoming based on the following criteria (in order of importance - very important to not so important) and then look at their preferred projects:
- Motivation letter of the project (most important aspect!)
- Project requirements fulfilled
- Extracurricular activities & social engagement (will only influence the outcome very minimally, and can not beat an outstanding motivation letter)
If two students have an equally outstanding application, only then will we look at the date on which the AF was sent.
So therefore, please take your time to write your motivation letters and don't feel rushed if you have exams! ;)
(Nevertheless, as mentioned before, late AFs might not be accepted, so don't start too late either!)