BUN VENIT ÎN MOLDOVA!
WELCOME TO MOLDOVA!
LAND OF WINE, TRADITIONS AND HOSPITABLE PEOPLE
Hello, dear exchange student!
Having your eyes stopped on Moldova's profile, look through it and think thouroughly wether you would miss this opportunity to have 4 weeks spent here, in a culturally bright country, with open-hearted people and practicing your skills guided by highly recognized medical staff.
Do you want to become a better man and a better doctor?
Here, we will try to help you in that by providing with everything necessary, to grow.
The Republic of Moldova is a very small country with about 3.56 million inhabitants. It is located in the Eastern part of the old European continent between Romania from the West, and Ukraine form the North, East and South. Most of its territory lies between the area's two main rivers, the Nistru and the Prut. Our great capital - Chisinau - is situated in the heart of our beautiful country with about 532.000 citizens. Due to its great parks and streets full of trees, it is called "the green capital".
This country is situated in the contact zone between different cultural and historic trends – Carpathian-Balkan, Central-European and Eurasian, and during its multi-millennial history harmoniously absorbed diverse cultural traditions of Proto-Indo-Europeans and archaic Indo-European peoples, including the Thracians, Slavs, Celts, Goths, Huns,etc, thus obtaining specific features.
The climate of the Republic of Moldova is moderately continental.
Most of the Moldovan people are bi- or tri-lingual. The official language is Romanian, which is derived from Latin and written using Latin alphabet.
The national currency of the Republic of Moldova is Moldovan Leu (MDL). The credit cards are accepted in banks, hotels, travel agencies and shops. The banks are open from 09.00 to 16.00 from Monday until Friday. The money exchange is done by all the banks and the exchange offices, located on the entire territory of the country. 1 Leu equals to 0.05 Euro, or 1 Euro is about 20 lei.
Moldovan public health care system has developed over the years, having its majority and best hospitals located in Chisinau.
In Moldova, Medical Education is provided by several Medical Colleges in Chisinau, Balti, Orhei, Cahul, Ungheni, where nursing staff is raised.
Moldova has only one, but very beautiful and nice international airport - Chisinau International Airport.
There are railway connections between the main cities of Moldova, which also pass through villages, covering mostly the whole country. Even though trains are cheaper than buses, they are quite slower.
There are many buses which create connection between all the cities and villages, especially from Chisinau.
Everybody when travelling wants to catch as much as possible from a country in order to feel pleased of seeing everything when going home. Since Moldova is quite small, you are definitely not going to miss anything.
We prepared for you a list of MUST DO in Moldova to have the best experience while staying here.
In case you do not manage to do all of them, you can always come back!
1. THE LAND OF WINE. For centuries, Moldova has gained rich grape-growing and winemaking traditions. This divine drink, also called "Lord's blood", is served at every special event of our people.
The Republic of Moldova offers tourists the chance to visit cellars and underground cities to see how the wine is produced and stored.
- "Cricova" - known worldwide due to its huge labyrinths, exceeding 120 km in length. It has a remarkable collection of over 600 types of wines and brands from all over the world,
totaling about 1 million bottles.
- "Milestii Mici" - include in the Guinness Book of Records as the largest wine collection in Europe,
with over 2 million bottles. The complex of galleries stretch over nearly 250 km.
- "Purcari" - the oldest winery in Moldova, which has won a lot of gold medals, beating wines from France, Italy, Spain, etc. Purcari wines were served at their tables by Russian Emperor Nicholas II and
Queen of the United Kingdom Victoria
2. MEDIEVAL FORTRESSES OF MOLDOVA. Most fortresses were built during the reign of Stefan the Great (1457-1504), our greatest voivode, and represent the main defensive points for the Moldovan
territory in the Middle Age.
- Soroca Fortress - an unique historical monument of defensive constructions architecture of medieval Moldova. It was built in the 15th century with 5 towers forming a circular enclosure.
Here, at the foot of its walls the cruelest battles took part.
- Tighina Fortress - one of the most powerful citadels of the Principality of Moldova. It served as an important point on the Moldovan Trade Route linking Western Europe with Orient. It was visited by Russian
Emperor Alexander I in 1818, and by Nikolai I in 1928.
3. RURAL AND GASTRONOMIC TOURISM. The intangible cultural heritage which includes folklore, traditions and customs, local crafts, traditional Moldovan cuisine, and, of course, the hospitality of Moldovans,
are only a few of the elements of rural area which Republic of Moldova can offer.
4. THE LAND OF SPIRITUALITY. Holy places are definitely one of the greatest tourist attractions in Moldova. People from all around the world come to see our beautiful monasteries and churches.
- Capriana Monastery - dedicated to the "Assumption of Virgin Mary", is one of the oldest monasteries of Bessarabia, being mentioned for the first time in 1420.
- Curchi Monastery - considered "the most beautiful and most famous monastery in Bessarabia". It is dedicated to the "Nativity of Virgin Mary".
- Saharna Monastery - located in one of the picturesque defiles near Saharna village on the bank of the Nistru River. This complex consists of two monasteries: a cave monastery and a terrestrial one.
- Tipova Monastery - one of the most beautiful monasteries in Moldova carved into the rock. It if formed by three monastic complexes, the first one dating the 11th-12th century.
5. NATURAL RESERVES. Despite having a small territory, Moldova has been blessed with unique monuments, wonderful landscapes, and places filled with the charm of nature.
- Old Orhei - includes a series of historical and cultural monuments and magnificent landscapes in the gorge of Raut River. In the limestone, cliffs there were found Christian cave monasteries, cells and religious
inscriptions made in stone. It is a candidate for being included in UNESCO World Heritage.
- "Padurea Domneasca" - It was created in 1993 and is unique by its biodiversity, being one of the oldest bottomland forests in Europe. Over 700 species of local flora out of 1300 registered in
the country can be found here. The bison represent the pride of the reserve.
- "Codrii" - the total area of the reserve is 17,476 ha and it is represented by 1000 species of plants, 52 species of mammals, 151 species of birds, 8 species of reptilians and 10 species of amphibians.
MOLDOVA HAS A LOT OF THINGS TO SHOW
AND IS WAITING FOR YOU TO COME AND DISCOVER IT!
Moldova has a rich culture formed during centuries with influences from all over the Europe and Asia.
The best point is that Moldovan people have taken only the good things from each culture and develop it into something marvelous.
Traditional clothing, music and dances are quite similar to our neighbors, but have a specific Moldovan note, which make them so unique and special and distinguished from others. Our beautiful traditions and customs were
passed through generations and are still alive, because of being so apreciated and loved by our people.
We are known as very hospitable people. The householders from rural localities will be honored to have you as a guest and, be sure, you are going to be treated more than like a guest, but like a member of their family.
Moldovan traditional food is prepared from a large diversity of vegetables, grown in ecological conditions in people's gardens.
- "Mamaliga", which is a maize porridge with a fine and delicious taste, is well known by tourists. It is usually served with cheese, sour cream, roasted meat, fish, etc.
- "Sarmale" - prepared from vine or cabbage leaves, being stuffed with rice mixed with meat. It is usually served with sour cream.
- "Placinta" - traditional Moldovan pie, which can be filled with cheese, potatoes, cabbage, pumpkin, apple, cherry, plum, etc.
OUR CULTURE IS WHAT MAKES US UNIQUE AND SPECIAL
- Smoking is forbidden in public places (cafes, universities, parks, etc.) and those who step aside of the law are financially penalized.