Bejaia is a province of north eastern Algeria whose main language is Kabyle . It's capital city is Bejaia a Mediterranean port city located on the foot of Mount Gouraya that is said to resemble the profile of a sleeping woman. The town is run by the Soummam River and is also known for its mesmerising sights such as the Aiguades beach and the Pic des singes (Monkey Peak) which inhabits the endangered Barbary macaque.
Bejaia was founded by the Carthaginians in the 1st millennium BC before being made into a commercial and military centre by the Romans who named it Saldae. The Berbers became its rulers soon after defeating the Vandal conquerors. It was then made into the capital of the Berber dynasty of the Hammadid Family. Only 200 years after being incorporated into the empire of Tunis is the 13th century, it became a big and famous pirate stronghold. After the Spanish occupation (1510-55), the city was taken by the Ottoman Turks to remain a Turkish part of the empire for 300 years until the French colonial rule in which it was named Bougie (meaning "candles" due to its wax trade). It is currently one of the main Algerian ports and the most important for oil transportation.
Its history made of Bejaia a cosmopolite city pulsating with life and people from different parts of the world.
Khelil AMRANE teaching hospital consists of 3 facilities:
- Khelil AMRANE hospital;
- Frantz FANON hospital;
- Targa OUZEMMOUR mother & child clinic.
We are not SCORE active.
One meal a day.
Depending on the availibility, it could either be in the student dormitory, an apartment or with host family.
You can use different kinds of transport to reach Bejaia:
- By plane from some cities around the world or from Algiers (the capital of Algeria) from where the flight lasts only twenty minutes.
- From Algiers you can also come to Bejaia by train, it take approximately four hours.
- From others algerians cities you can take bus and taxis.
Inside the city you will have a lot of options for transportation like public transport or taxis.
-There are plenty of places to visit in summer:
- The famous mount Gouraya and its forteress .
- The pike of "Yemma Yamna".
- The cap Carbon .
- "Le pique des singes" (The pike of the monkeys) and its orientation table.
- "Les oliviers" 's forest (olive trees): a natural habitat for the barbary macaque.
- The place of November 1, 1954 (Ex: Place Guidon).
- The black lake of Akfadou.
- The old Kabyle villages.
- Differents rocky and sandy beaches with caves and islands to visit.
-And many other places we want you to discover !