The city is named after the Iguaçu River that runs through it and empties into Guanabara Bay (not to be confused with the Iguaçu River in Paraná state, which forms the Iguaçu Falls). It is part of the Greater Rio de Janeiro metropolitan area. It was the state's second largest city in population until Mesquita was split off, and now it is the fourth largest behind São Gonçalo, Duque de Caxiasand the state capital, Rio de Janeiro. It lies northwest of Rio de Janeiro, in the centre of the northern part of its metropolitan area,Baixada Fluminense. The current mayor is Nelson Bornier (PMDB). The city is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Nova Iguaçu.
Nova Iguaçu has an estimated population of around 800,000 people. Although not best defined as a commuter town, it is a suburb of Rio de Janeiro under the influence of the capital – to which tens of thousands of workers and students commute daily, or visit regularly for options in culture, entertainment, goods, health care, etc. It is a city of average, lower middle income. There are a few historical and ecotouristical attractions in the municipality.
The UNIG Teaching Clinic makes up significantly, the history of health in the region.
Throughout its existence, and to promote significant changes in the surrounding region, UNIG has transformed itself in a continuous process of administrative, pedagogical and technological improvement.
Strive for quality of education and other services offered, pursuing excellence, it is a principle that has, over the decades of its existence, and inspiring their decisions.
Cause development in the state, noting demands in their area of competence, innovating depending on progress of this arising, it is the focus of actions for this guideline
The host student or family will provide at least one meal per day.
The incomings are alocate in students flat house, family houses or republic houses, where students share a house and create a family bound. They will have their own bed and will be provided with one bathroom that can be shared or not, and internet acess, on the house or on the college.
Take a flight to Rio de Janeiro.
Galeão - Antônio Carlos Jobim International Airport (IATA: GIG, ICAO: SBGL, Tel: +55 21 3398-5050, fax 3393-2288) is still better known by its old name Galeão International Airport and is situated 20 km (12 mi) north of the city centre.
International connections to and from GIG include flights to Europe
- Lisbon twice a day by TAP
- Porto on Fridays and Sundays by TAP
- Madrid daily by Iberia
- Paris twice daily by Air France
- Rome five times a week by Alitalia
- Frankfurt daily by Lufthansa
- Amsterdam daily by KLM
- London daily by British Airways
to Africa and the Middle East
- Addis Ababa via Lome by Ethiopian
- Luanda four times a week by Taag
- Dubai hub daily non-stop by Emirates
as well as to North America
- New York by American Airlines and TAM Airlines
- Charlotte by US Airways
- Atlanta by Delta Airlines
- Dallas by American Airlines
- Houston by United Airlines,
- Miami by American Airlines and TAM Airlines
- Toronto by Air Canada
- Mexico City by Aeromexico
Within Central and South America there are connections by a number of carriers (including Avianca, Copa Airlines, TAM, Gol, LAN, TAM Mercosul, Emirates, Pluna and Aerolineas Argentinas) to
- Argentina: Buenos Aires, Cordoba
- Venezuela: Caracas
- Paraguay: Asuncion
- Uruguay: Montevideo
- Chile: Santiago
- Colombia: Bogotá
- Peru: Lima
- Panama: Panama City,
While you can sometimes zoom through Immigration and Customs, be prepared for a long wait. Brazilians travel with lots of baggage and long queues can form at Customs, which are usually understaffed.
The Tourist Information desk is by the Customs exit in the International Arrivals area of the airport. As you come out of the Customs hall, take a sharp right turn and you will see it. It is pretty much next to the doors.
ATMs are available on the 2nd floor; read notes below regarding ATMs. Money exchange facilities are limited and high commissions are charged. Slightly better rates can be obtained, illegally, at the taxi booths but they may want you to use their cabs before exchanging money for you. In any event, don´t exchange more than you have to as much better rates are available downtown.
Take a bus to Nova Iguaçu
The long-distance bus depot, Rodoviária Novo Rio, is in the North Zone's Santo Cristo neighborhood.
- Bell tower of Igreja da Nossa Senhora da Piedade. Tower and church ruins which date back to the original settlement in the 17th century. edit
- Chapel of Engenho da Posse, Alto da Posse - Bairro da Posse. Constructed between 1630 and 1630. edit
- Igreja de Santo Antônio de Jacutinga, Avenida Getúlio de Moura. Constructed in the 19th century. edit
- Igreja de Santo Antônio da Prata, Estrada Dr. Plínio Casado - Prata. edit
- Parque Municipal de Nova Iguaçu. edit
- Reserva Biológica Federal do Tinguá. edit
- Serra de Madureira. edit
- Serra do Tinguá. edit
- Serra do Vulcão. edit