Ivano-Frankivsk - eastern Carpathian’ s "gate" - lies south west of Ukraine at a distance of 150-300 km from the borders of Poland, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia.Ivano-Frankivsk - a city of regional significance, administrative, economic and cultural center of the Precarpathian region. The area of
Ivano Frankivsk National Medical University (IFNMU) is situated in Ivano city in North-West of Ukraine and it is a leading higher education establishment of the region of a classical type with a higher accreditation level. The University history started in 1945. One of the few Medical Universities in Ukraine to be conferred the Honor of being designated as a“National Medical University” by the Government of Ukraine. IFNMU is a member of International Association of Universities, European Association of Universities, World Health Organization and other international organizations.
City Central Clinical Hospital is in control of 11 health care providing establishments, which are municipal properties of the city. Central City Clinical Hospital is the most versatile facility of the city, it is designed for 470 beds. Within the hospital the following departments are found: surgery, minimally invasive endovascular cardiac surgery, urological, microsurgery of ENT organs, microsurgery of the eye, cardiology, vascular neurology, therapeutic
For major scientific university ” Development of new technologies and standards of diagnosis, prevention and treatment of major diseases within randomized trials Evidentiary medicine ” is performed 77 complex research projects , including 4 of the GDR , financed from the state budget of Ministry of Health of Ukraine, 20 – cathedral complex subjects , 23 – the economic and contractual research , 30 – in the international multicenter randomized trials, and more. In scientific work involved 80 doctors and 306 candidates of sciences of the 597 all scientific and pedagogical staff of the University.
In his scientific research practice university scientists commonly use the opportunity of scientific cooperation with universities , research institutions and hospitals both in Ukraine and abroad. In 2010, employees of the university were 53 participants in research projects with grants, participated in 67 international forums , exhibitions, internships and more. University scientists received 120 foreign and 40 Ukrainian grants for research and development .
In 2011, the University continues to work with 21 educational, scientific and medical institutions and 28 foreign medical institutions, among them the Central Research Institute of Stomatology Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Moscow State Medical and Stomatological University Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, St Peterburskoyu pediatric medical academy of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Belarusian State medical University, Ministry of Health of Belarus , Belarusian State Institute for Postgraduate Education , Institute of medical Radiology of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation on the project ” Diagnosis and treatment of head and neck “, now “MEDGAL” ( Poland ), a research group and Western European companies to conduct multicenter , randomized , placebo- controlled studies and more.
Lodging is in a student hostels for July and August. Rooms are fully furnished and consist of an apartment like system with a two bed and a three bed room with an attached toilet. On each floor there is a common hall and a common kitchen for cooking. On the ground floor there is a gym cum recreation center including a table tennis table.
Hostel rooms come furnished with beds, mattress, pillows, blanket, two side tables, one cupboard per room and one table and chair per room. Occupants get a weekly change of bed-sheet and pillow case. Hot water is available in designated hours. All rooms are centrally heated. A plumber, carpenter and electrician are available on call.
For other periods, you will be placed in a host family.
Parish Church (Art Museum). Former Catholic Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary is one of the most valuable architectural monuments in the city. In Soviet times, the church was closed, and the building was used as an art museum. Today, the art museum can still be found there. Sheptytsky Square, 8. Opening hours: 10:00-17:00, day off - Monday.
The City Hall (Local History Museum). Constructivist building located on the Rynok (Market) Square is the most recognizable symbol of the city (the height is 49.5 meters). In its current form the building was constructed in the first half of the 20th century.
The building hosts several exhibitions of local history museum: nature, history, folk art, and archaeology. Several collections of weapons and books, as well as antique furniture are also presented. The total number of exhibits is about 120 thousand items. Galitskaya Street, 4-a. Opening hours: 9:00-17:30, day off - Monday.
Resurrection Cathedral. The building of the Austrian-Bavarian architecture school with clear features of classicism. The tops of the towers are made in the style of Gutsulskaya wooden architecture. Sheptytsky Square, 22.
Armenian Church. The building with two towers in Baroque style located near the market square was built in the 18th century. Two restorations made in the 19th and the 20th centuries significantly changed the building.
The interiors are fully preserved because in Soviet times the building was the museum of religion and atheism. Armenian Street, 6.
Other places of interest
One Hundred Meters. “One hundred meters” or simply “hundred” (“sotka”) is the name of the pedestrian part of Nezavisimosty Street. Its real length is about half a kilometer. This is the most popular walking area of the city.
There are many outdoor cafes and restaurants, bookstores and boutiques. Every year new forged sculptures are placed on this street and the streets located nearby.
Fortifications (Bastion). A fragment of the defensive wall with bastion is all that remains of the old fortifications of Stanislav fortress. Currently, the renovated complex hosts “Bastion” gallery - a shopping and entertainment complex with a terrace for walks, souvenir shops and boutiques. Fortechny (Krepostnoy) Lane, 1.
The City Lake. The lake that appeared in 1955 was called “Stanislavsky Sea”. The lake is one of the main recreational areas of Ivano-Frankivsk. The most romantic place is a bridge to the “Island of Love”. There is also a boathouse. Mazepa Street.
Water park “Tsunami”. It is one of the largest water parks in Ukraine. The place has 6 pools and 12 water slides, jacuzzi, solarium, sauna, massage, fitness center. One of the pools constructed specially for diving is 12.5 meters depth.
In addition to a water park, the complex also includes an ice arena, restaurant, and hotel. Dovzhenko Street, 29. Opening hours: 10:00-22:30 (Saturday, Sunday - 9:00).
Pototskys’ palace. After the clan vanished the palace belonged to Ministries of Defense of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, Polish republic and the USSR and was used as a military hospital. Due to this fact it was preserved. Gospitalnaya Street, 3.
Adam Mitskevich Statue (1898). It is the second statue. The first one was destroyed in 1914 because of artillery firing. A. Mitskevich Street.