Barcelona is the capital of Catalunya, a region of Northern Spain that has its own unique culture, traditions and personality. Few European cities can offer you the wide diversity of cultural experience that you are able to find here in Barcelona.
Hospital del Mar means Sea’s Hospital, do you want know why? Come with us and find out!! First let me tell you about it’s location, which is in front of the sea, right next to Parc de Recerca Biomedica de Barcelona (PRBB), one of the most important research center of Europe. You can get here by metro (L4 Ciutadella Vila Olimpica), bus or by walk enjoying the nice brives which can offers you this amazing city.Hospital del Mar is a third level: 9 floors, 39 specialities, and around 400 beds that helds a population of pacients from all over the world and in any kind of circumstances. Its doctors teach in the University and are usually sourrended by students. Therefore, the professionals are willing to share their knowledge with you. Don’t hesitate any more, come to Catalonia.
You will be staying in a residence, student flat or with a host family!!
You can use the extenisve network of public transportation: buses, underground, tram, trains. [http://www.tmb.cat/en/home].
In Barcelona, it is highly recommended to purchase a monthly card, that will allow you to take as many buses and undergrounds as you want during that month (cost: 52,75€). If you do not need to use public transport very often you can buy a “T-10” which costs 9,95€ and includes 10 rides. Please be aware that these are the prices if you travel around “zone 1” (which includes most of Barcelona neighbourhoods). If you desire to go further, the 1 zone card is not valid. You can check the different zones in the following website: [http://www.tmb.cat/en/mapa-de-zones]
Taxis are also available in the city, but it is always a more expensive option. The prices depend on the route but the average is about 7-8€
If you desire to visit other cities in Catalonia, taking a train is a good option. In the following website you’ll finde more information: [http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html].
Visiting Montserrat Mountains is one of the favourite excursions of our incoming students. In this case, you’ll need to take a train but from another company which is: [http://www.fgc.cat/eng/index.asp]
There are more than a thousand ways to fall in love with Barcelona! You should come and discover how them can let you speechless...! Live the experience, don’t let anybody live it for you! Anyway, we tell you a few places you can’t miss if you decide to choose our city:
- Plenty of art: modernism is an artistic movement linked with Barcelona. You should have heard about Antoni Gaudí i Cornet. The Sagrada Familia’s church, modernist Park Guell and the Pedrera are some of his big treasure here, a legacy for all of our eyes.
- Take a walk: Las Ramblas’ street is one of the “must see” places. You can go easily through it where you can take a look to all of the stands and traditional street artists of Las Ramblas. Don’t forget to visit El Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria or just La Boqueria to prove your taste with local food, and the Plaça Reial where you can go for a drink.
- Music, music and more music: if you enjoy listening to music, El Palau de la Música Catalana is where all type of music collides. There’s a great acoustic and renowned music professionals.
- The Historic Quarter: El Gòtic, Barcelona’s and Santa María del Mar’s cathedral. It’s the medieval city, the oldest part of Barcelona. There you can find plenty of museums, squares, markets and feel the streets as native people.
- Outdoors: we recommend Barceloneta’s promenade to ride a bike or skate with beautiful sea views (almost 2 km), but if you prefer the mountains, Montjuïc is a hill full of outdoor activities, sculptures, parks (Jardí Botànic de Barcelona), fountains (Font Màgica de Montjuïc) and on its top there’s the Montjuïc castle.
These are just few “must see” places where you can enjoy Barcelona, but in case you need more, here are some links with more information about other interesting places.
Points of interest: http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/wv3/es/page/12/zonas-de-interes.html
Itineraries per day: http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/wv3/es/page/2/itinerarios-por-dias.html
Barcelona is one of the most important cities in the world so you can find everything you need. And you can do all kind of activities.
Moreover, it’s really well connected with other cities around so you can visit the most beautiful places with good prices not only in Barcelona but also in Catalonia and Spain.
The people are really friendly and we are sure that you won’t have any problem if you don’t speak Spanish.Don’t hesitate to come to Catalonia. It’s unique and we are sure it’ll be one of the best experiences of your life.