Hi everybody! Welcome to our something small but interesting city, San Felipe.
We are a team made up of medical students from the University of Valparaiso in San Felipe campus. We have all our committees doing activities frequently and we are a very motivated and united group. We have members in practically every year of the career. We will be happy to received incomings and always ready to help you.
Our university is located in San Felipe, a city of the Valparaíso region, in Chile. In this region, one hour and a half away from San Felipe, is also Viña del Mar and Valparaiso.
San Felipe is part of the Aconcagua Valley or "Valle del Aconcagua". Most of the time has a warm weather (excepting winter), big mountains and beautiful places.
WE ARE HAPPY TO RECEIVE YOU!
The University of Valparaíso (UV) is a public state university in Chile. It’s divided in 3 campuses, but just Reñaca and San Felipe have a medschool. Our campus dosen’t have a big infrastructure, but we have the whole Aconcagua health network, so getting access to clinical practices it’s much easier. Thanks to that we work directly with doctors and service specialists.
San Camilo Hospital (HOSCA) is a highly complex public hospital belonging to the Aconcagua Health Service, located in the city of San Felipe. Since its inauguration it has been growing and incorporating new dependencies such as the Dialysis Unit, the Intermediate Treatments Unit and the Pediatric ICU. Currently, the hospital has 232 beds and almost 900 staffs, for a population that exceeds 70.000 inhabitants in San Felipe, and 260.00 in the entire Aconcagua Valley, which translates into an average of 2.000 annual deliveries and more than 9.000 surgical interventions.
Provided by a host family, 2 times per day.
Provided by a Host family. It might happen that during peak months (January, July or August) we aren't able to provide host families to all the students, and in that case a dorm with pocket money ($2000 per worked day) will be provided.
The principal source of transportation use by the student of San Felipe is the taxi or “colectivos”, that will take you anywhere you want inside the city by only $600. This will be the main way of transportation to get to the hospital or the CESFAM (Family health center), from any main street or avenue.
To movilizarse to nearby cities (for example Los Andes) you can take the bus or “micro” in any bus stop by around $750
However, San Felipe is a small place, so you can walk to almost anywhere you want!
* To take any of this vehicules, you just have to raise and wave your hand when it’s arriving, so the chofer will know that you what to get in*
- Aconcagua historical museum (Museo Histórico de Aconcagua): Here you can find an Aconcagua 's culture show and San Felipe 's historical objects.
- San Felipe Apostle Cathedral(Catedral de San Felipe Apóstol): Officially created in 1740 along with the town foundation. In september 29th of 1989 it's declared national monument by D. S. 490.
- Church and Cloister of the Good Shepherd (Iglesia y Claustro del Buen Pastor): The church and convent of the Good Shepherd of San Felipe, was declared national monument in 1989, for its architectonic quality and for being the reflection of the religious history of the city.
- El Almendral Church (Iglesia de El Almendral): It is located in the village “El Almendral”, 2 km away from San Felipe. In this church exist a variety of religious imagery from the colonial period, with furniture and colonial dress figures. The tower and the front were design by the italian architecture Eduardo Provasoli. Since november 17th od 1972, this church is a national monument by the law n° 17813.
- Jahuel Hot springs (Termas de Jahuel): Thermal center located 18 km northeast of San Felipe. All the water consume in the hotel is originally from therms, and it comes out at 22 degrees from their own fount located in the area. Their crystalline sulfated waters are completely natural. Ps: It’s expensive
Curious fact: In 1834 Charles Darwin witnessed Jahuel's soothing goodness. He related this in volume 3 of his book "My trip around the world": "August 1834. I crossed San Felipe, a beautiful small town and really similar to Quillota. In the afternoon we arrive in Jahuel and stay there for 5 days. What a pleasure I experienced during my stay in Jahuel, climbing those immense mountains… A beautiful weather and the atmosphere is extraordinary pure”
- Viña Martel: Place where you can enjoy typical chilean food and drinks at a good price during the whole year.
- Serranía El Ciprés, Nature Sanctuary (Santuario de la Naturaleza, Serranía El Ciprés): Located in “Quebrada El Asiento” and in the hill “El Tabaco” from sector “El Asiento”. It is known by its great environmental value.
- Hacienda of Quilpué Castle (Castillo hacienda Quilpué): They are ruins of the castle of the Hacienda de Quilpué. It’s an interesting place to visit and hang out with friends.
- Visit to Viña-Valpo (Visita a Viña-Valpo): Viña del mar and Valparaíso are the most touristic cities of the fifth region, located an hour and a half away from San Felipe. In both cities you can find beautiful beaches and landscapes. In Viña we can find the "Flower Clock" ("Reloj de Flores"), the "Quinta Vergara", and a lot vegetation, for this reason Viña del Mar is called "garden city" ("ciudad jardin"). On the other hand Valpo is located next to Viña, and one of the most touristic places are the Valparaiso hills ("los cerros de Valparaíso") because they have many historical places like for example "la sebastiana museum", "paseo Yugoslavo" and a lot more.
In San Felipe usually tends to be quite warm. We have really hot summers, most days are over 30°C, and can even go above 35°C. On the other hand, winters are usually pretty cold, its minims being able to get under 0°C and its maximum don’t exceed 20°C. But thankfully these temperatures are exclusive of only some months.
There are two principal supermarkets, “Jumbo” and “Lider”. The first one is located a few meters from San Camilo Hospital, so it’s really easy to go shopping if you are in practices.
The second one, Lider, is located two blocks away from Jumbo and is more cheaper than the other one.
- Miraflores Avenue: Is the street where the hospital and Jumbo is located, and the one where you can reach the university campus.
- Tocornal: Public transport often passes through this street, like the buses going to “Los Andes” and the “colectivos” and “micros” that drive through San Felipe. There is also the Líder supermarket.
- Yungay: Is one of the avenues that sets the beginning of the downtown, most of the public transportation passes through this place since the bus terminal is located there. It is also possible to find a farmers market next to the terminal.