Host Family, Student Flat or Hospital
The incomings are alocate in students flat house, family houses or republic houses, where students share a house and create a family bound. They will have their own bed and will be provided with one bathroom that can be shared or not, and internet acess, on the house or on the college.
A good way to move around to not-so-close places. They are not very expensive and drivers are mostly friendly, although small cheats are not uncommon. To avoid it, after getting into a taxi, check if the taximeter has been started . If not, ask the taxi driver to do so.
Buses are a cheap and nice way to get around by day, although by night they become more scarce. The fare is payed either with tickets, which can be bought in most bus stops, or in cash to the driver, or conductor by passing by turnstile. Keep an eye out for pickpockets when the bus is crowded. Many people still get wet from the sea into the bus, so have a good look if your seat is dry before you sit. Some bus stops have time tables and a map where the buses are heading to. However, the LED-displays of the buses are also good indicators on the direction. Use small change. Paper money of R$ 20 or more are not polite.
Bicycles are by far the best way to move around the town, and since 2012 its possible to take one for free (bike-sharing). There are many "stations" of bicycle over all the city, especially on the beachfront. The system requires a register with credit card (ten reais as security deposit) at the websitehttp://www.bikesantos.com/. Travel up to 30 minutes and with 15 minutes of break are free.
By streetcar (tramway)
There are a couple tourist routes with early XX century streetcars downtown.
- By air - Arriving the airports in Sao Paulo (Congonhas / CGH) or (Guarulhos / GRU), packtours can arrange convenient TAXI service to Santos, it may take slightly more than one hour to go. There are also about 8 bus service a day from Guarulhos.
- By bus - Take a taxi or the subway to Jabaquara Bus Station. There you can take a bus directly to Santos. Estimated travel time: 1 hour 20 minutes. Buses leave every 15 minutes 24 hours a day. Bus companies are e.g. Cometa (http://www.viacaocometa.com.br/pt/), Expresso Luxo (http://www.expressoluxo.com.br/), or Ultra (http://www.viacaoultra.com.br/). You can check timetables, prices (app. 21 R$, Oct. 2014) and book online, More information: 011 50113421. The bus stops at the Terminal Rodoviario De Santos and them some go on to São Vicente (Santos' twin city), some to Gonzaga (beach) and some to Ponta da Praia (on the channel, handy for taking a boat on to Guarujá). You can get off at many other stops on the bus way on, but only if you do not have luggage in the luggage trunk of the bus (it is possible to request your luggage is removed from the luggage trunk and placed inside the bus at the Santos Terminal in order to get off at a later minor stop with luggage). Terminal Rodoviario De Santos is directly in the center, however, the beach is far away (app. 5km).
- Beach front garden. The longest beach front garden in the world according to the Guinness with 5335 meters long. Just go to the beach and you will find it.
- Aquarium. Av. Bartolomeu de Gusmão, Ponta da Praia, Phone: 3236-9996. The first public aquarium in Brazil featuring hundreds of sea creatures of the Brazilian seas. Tue to Sat, 9:00 to 18:00. R$ 5,00, students pay R$ 2,50 and free for children under 12.
- Church of Embare. Av. Bartolomeu de Gusmão, 32, Phone: 3227-5977. Gothic church built in 1946. Everyday from 8:00 to 20:00. No admission fee.
- Orchid Garden plus Zoobotanic garden at Praça Washington Luis at the end of Avenida General Francisco Glicério, 200 metres from beach and 300 metres from São Vicente border. Small entrance fee. Several green houses full of orchids. Small local animals loose in the garden: turtles, pacas. Walk in fenced garden with loose large birds: tucanos, macaws.
- Benedicto Calixto Art Collecion at Bartolomeu de Gusmão Avenue, 15 (near a touristic guide place) is a beautiful mansion house with a permanent exhibition of paintings by Benedicto Calixto and an art library. Worth visiting the beautiful indoor garden.
Bring your own white coat and stethoscope. You have to respect Brazil's norm NR 32: do not use accessories, wear closed shoes and tie your hair.
Be welcome to Santos!